Lintel required for single brick?

J

jashton

Hi. I need to remove a brick from each side of a double-course wall to run some 200x60 rectangular ducting. Handily the bricks are 9x3 so I just need to take one, no need to split any etc. and there's no cavity.
Question is do I need to support above the gap by taking out the next course up and putting in a small lintel? I'm thinking no but need to be certain.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
not enough info.whats a double course wall???,is the wall load bearing ???,is there anything above??

ie two rows of bricks. Sorry, courses are rows, right?
I mean like a cavity wall but with no cavity. ie two walls butted against each other. It looks like a Flemish bond construction.
It's load bearing in that it supports another 15 feet of wall and then the roof but it's not supporting any floor joists above. they run parallel

Do you mean a double-skin wall with no cavity and is it for only a hole 200mm X 60mm to go through the wall.
In which case just carry on, no need for any support above.
As indicated by the drawing:
GALLERY]

The bricks to the side of the opening support the bricks above the opening.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a double-skin wall with no cavity and is it for only a hole 200mm X 60mm to go through the wall.
In which case just carry on, no need for any support above.
As indicated by the drawing:
GALLERY]

The bricks to the side of the opening support the bricks above the opening.

good man. Double-skin, exactly what I mean. And a diagram too!

Sorry, don't want to be too patronising but judging by your question you're pretty new to DIY, so

If I were you, I'd do some stitch drilling first, with a masonry drill obviously. Stitch drilling is just drilling a series of holes to make life easier, cos then you just join-up the holes with the chisel. From outside as well as inside, but you might have to make a small hole, possibly with a long masonry drill, right through in order to be sure of your outside orientation.
I'm assuming it's for a kitchen extractor or similar.
Once the hole is ready, temporarily fix your ducting in place by wedging in pieces of wood or similar on the inside edge of the hole. That'll keep your ducting in place while you use mortar to fill in the outside edges. (which should be covered eventually by a vent cover.)
Once the mortar has set, then, from the inside you can fill in with an expanding foam. When well cured, trim this level with plaster or brickwork on the inside. The foam can be painted when dried.

thats called a 1 brick wall where i come from.

right,am i right in thinking you want to cut a hole through the 1 brick wall to pass the ducting through perpendicular to the wall.in which case,just cut out your hole and no need for a lintel if thats the case.

Sorry, don't want to be too patronising but judging by your question you're pretty new to DIY, so

If I were you, I'd do some stitch drilling first, with a masonry drill obviously. Stitch drilling is just drilling a series of holes to make life easier, cos then you just join-up the holes with the chisel. From outside as well as inside, but you might have to make a small hole, possibly with a long masonry drill, right through in order to be sure of your outside orientation.
I'm assuming it's for a kitchen extractor or similar.
Once the hole is ready, temporarily fix your ducting in place by wedging in pieces of wood or similar on the inside edge of the hole. That'll keep your ducting in place while you use mortar to fill in the outside edges. (which should be covered eventually by a vent cover.)
Once the mortar has set, then, from the inside you can fill in with an expanding foam. When well cured, trim this level with plaster or brickwork on the inside. The foam can be painted when dried.

Thanks. Not new to DIY at all but not that familiar with masonry or structural aspects. I'm all done for now. Bricks removed ready for ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back