Lintel type for external solid wall which will be rendered.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry for duplicating this post in this section as well as the rendering section, but It wasn't getting many answers.

I'm putting a set of UPVC Folding Sliding doors in an external solid wall which is currently rendered.

The old render is coming off as I intend to have the whole house re-rendered.

As the new doors will be lower than the current window, the question is what type of Lintel should I use. Currently there is only a 3"*8" ( guessing ) wooden lintel on the inner course with the outer courses sitting directly on the window frame.

Steel lintels for External Solid walls appear to be for a fair faced brick finish, i.e. they have the small downward lip on the front edge. ( eg catnic cn81b)

Wouldn't this look odd with a rendered finish using a stop bead to form the bell cast above the window? Or would you simply have no bell cast?

The alternative I guess is to use a concrete lintel, but the opening is 2440, so lintel would need to be 2750. Can you drill into concrete lintels to support the frame at the top?

Alternatively I could set the Steel lintel forward so the lip projects past the brickwork to be used as the stop for the bell cast.

Whats the normal solution to this?

Thanks.

Barry.

Sponsored Links
Solid wall lintels, or any proprietary pressed steel lintel such as catnic etc, have a relatively thin outer lip upon which to build the outer skin. This lip will in no way interfere with any rendering detail you wish to add whether you are laying blocks or bricks.

A bell bead can be fixed so that it partially covers the lip, i.e. set it down 10mm below the lip.

The external masonry will always protrude past the lip by a few mill regardless of whether it is brick or block.

Sponsored Links
Normal solution and due to the loading characteristics of a solid wall you would be best to use a 9" wide x 4" deep prestressed concrete lintel, the external render will hide the face and exposed underside, and plaster coat hides the inside - job done!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back