lintl size

M

marsaday

I am making a new opening for a window and will need a hidden lintel on the internal wall. the opening is 630mm wide ad so i wondered what depth lintel i needed?

Sponsored Links
A catnic CG50/100 or CG70/100 top hat lintel would be more than man enough..

Depending on cavity width and inner leaf width..

Sponsored Links
Riighht.. when you say hidden on the internal side what do you mean? will it be plastered? exposed brickwork?

Might be simplest with a concrete lintel but will be exposed both sides

i thought concrete too.

it will be on the inside course, so hidden. the outside has a brick solider lintel formed.

what size concrete do i need then in depth?

on the drawing i have L1/s 100 lintel written. Not sure what this is ?

is it a catnic?

So can i use concrete? or do i need a catnic?

What size depth will i need.

i thought concrete too.

it will be on the inside course, so hidden. the outside has a brick solider lintel formed.

Personally not a great fan of soldier course lintels, so would recommend a catnic that supports the whole wall..
But you can put a simple concrete lintel on the inner leaf, depending on the amount of floor loading the lintel.. but if there isnt more than about 5m of floor above then a simple 65-70mm deep precast lintel should be fine..
If theres a bath or any point loads over the lintel might wanna beaf that up a little..

ok thanks for that.

i would prefer to have a lintel which goes the full way through and so i dont have to form a solider curve - makes life easier.

but if i do use a lintel wont the bottom of the lintel be seen from outside? if i am right in thinking, a catnic lintel has space for the soldier course to go in. but the bottom of this lintel is still seen? am i wrong?

I know how to do it now !! The catnic lintel sits back a bit and so you do not see the metal frame.

What length catnic do i need for a 630mm opening. is 750 too small. this would give 60mm bearing either side.

i thought concrete too.

Personally not a great fan of soldier course lintels, so would recommend a catnic that supports the whole wall..
But you can put a simple concrete lintel on the inner leaf, depending on the amount of floor loading the lintel.. but if there isnt more than about 5m of floor above then a simple 65-70mm deep precast lintel should be fine..
If theres a bath or any point loads over the lintel might wanna beaf that up a little..

what a dangeroud thing to say.... i suggest the op ignores this mans advice...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back