sizing lintle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am planning a kitchen extension,this mean opening up an existing window into an opening/walkthrough. how would i size up the correct lintle for the job? how much of the lintle has to be supported,at either end,what material is best?
thanks

Sponsored Links
There are rules for the land (the length of lintol resting on the piers at each end) roughly, 6" minimum and 9" if the opening is more than about 4'. best to check with the DS as you will need Building regs if not planning anyway.
Nowadays they seem to insist on steel I beams, (I personally don't like steel in buildings for support, as the steel is worse than useless in the rare event of a fire)
However I'm just a hairy a*sed (ex) bricky, so what do I know?

The lintol may also need to be on a pad stone of some sort, depending on loading etc, for example, if there is a story above but the wall is cavity brick then that might be ok,
The pad can also be engineering brick or a short bit of concrete, or a conker block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back