listed building/planning permision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all A few quick questions

1)Is listed building consent also req for the gardens of listed buildings (for joe public)?

because according to local authority apparently so

2)does a local authority also req listed building consent/planning permision to do works on such a garden into a local park area (with the owners permission)

because apparently not
or
3) do they have "certain permited development rights"

again apparently so

or am I just being given BS

Matt

Sponsored Links
From my limited knowledge of Listed Buildings, the Local Council have the authority to make the decisions regarding the listed buildings in their geographical area, irrespective of the ownership.
e.g., if it's your building you ask them for permission, if it's their building, they ask their officer for consent.

I would take listed building as 'the building' not the grounds, is that the answer you were looking for.
I am interested as I keep looking at property that is listed.
I have been told that if you want to repair a hole in the plaster, English heritage will want the plaster as it was originally.

There's a lot of urban myths surrounding Listed Buildings.

This site may help to dispel some:

http://www.heritage.co.uk/apavilions/glstb.html

English Heritage may be interested in some buildings, usually Grade 1's or because of its significant history.

Some buildings can be listed because of the group of buildings, e.g a row of terrace houses. This would mean that work could be carried out internally but no change to the exterior or juxtaposition of the houses.

It all depends on the reasons for listing/grading.

And, thus, in response to the OP, it all depends on the particular request for change/reason for listing.
If the change is in keeping with the original listing it may be granted
If the change has no bearing on the original reason for listing it may be granted.

In other words, before you can make an educated guess about what would be allowed or not, you need to ascertain the original reason for listing/grading of the building/area.

Sponsored Links
If a building is listed it doesn't matter if it's grade i, ii or ii*. If it's listed it's listed and the whole building is listed - inside and out. Even new fittings. There is no such thing as 'only the outside is listed' or 'only the front elevation is listed'. These myths come about because many buildings were listed without access to the internal so only the external - or sometimes only the front - gets described in the listing.

The planners would also require planning and listed building consent for any works within the curtilage of a listed building (i.e. the grounds or gardens) and they would ask the conservation officer for comment on any planning application on nearby buildings that might affect the 'setting' of a listed building. Even if that building is outside the curtilage and owned by somebody completely different.

If a building is listed it doesn't matter if it's grade i, ii or ii*. If it's listed it's listed and the whole building is listed - inside and out.

Quite agree, but the reason for listing will have a bearing on what might be allowed or not.

Thanks all
A bit more info
I live in a georgian terrace built between 1819 and 1824, the terrace also lies within a conservation area.
Now I'm ok with the fact that the buildings are old and agree that they should be preserved but its the fact that it seems to be one rule for the council and one rule for us
for example, the new owners of number 1 are getting new railings and have been told that they have to match the originals, but when the council replaced the ajoining terrace's railings (also listed and almost as old) they put in "what they could afford"
same went for the lamp posts that they were going to erect using the same heritage grant ,they were suposed to be in a mock gas light style but
"they were going to be too expensive" so they bunged in modern ones
Now at the moment I need new windows and I'm saving up because I do want proper sashes but seeing that I've 14 windows, it's not going to be cheap, and this is the point, if I went to planning tomorrow and said I need new windows but sashes are too expensive so i'm putting new wooden ones in because its all I can afford, they would twist their faces and tell me I can't (allthough I do believe you can replace like for like)

edit.
Matt you have answered above the question that we were going to ask. Just what it is you wanted to do?
oldun

OK, so this Topic has been dormant for 11 months, but here's a bit that might help.

First off - CRUCIAL ! - "Alterations" are zero-rated for VAT - but in the last budget this is to end on 1st October, so p u l l y o u r f i n g e r o u t ! ! !

2nd, see the scary cautionary tale headed "Conservation Cops" from the Sunday Times, 17 May 2005 (I can't upload it, as it's a .pdf, and copyright) 248 Kb

3rd, they can do what they want - because they can. What Kipling described as "the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages - power without responsibility"

4th, see http://targetfreedom.typepad.com/targetfreedom/2009/09/local-fascism.html from which:-
============================
Fascism is a governmental system which permits a certain degree of "private" property or business ownership, but the management of the property is under governmental oversight.
Owners are generally allowed to retain title to property, but are prohibited from using property in any way which does not follow some governmental law or regulation. Governmental law or regulation might be ambiguous or self-contradictory.
After being denied any control as to what can be done with property these victimized owners are granted the privilege of paying taxes on the property. This type of symbolic ownership makes property ownership into a burden rather than a benefit. Property "owners" are also given the duty of maintaining the property, and the standards for this maintenance are dictated by government. The government might set unreasonable requirements as to the maintenance of the property, which is always at the expense of the "owner".
============================

5th. Someone is doing a PhD on the topic, and seeks evidence - boy, is she getting an earful from us !

The latest gem...

We eventually got the Listed Building Consent to do much of the work on the roof. The scaffolders came and did their erection. The roofer came and did his work. On Monday last, I climbed the scaffold for one last check. I looked again at the SKY aerial, and wondered again whether we should take it down, as we don't subscribe, never have, probably never shall. On balance, I decided - again - to leave it, as future owners might subscribe. Also, taking it down, although simple enough, would leave a "scar" in the (new) paintwork right down the gable.

The day after the scaffold came down, the local Council enforcement officer wrote to say that we did not have Listed Building Consent for the aerial ! This despite the facts that :-
o it has been there for years;
o it has NEVER been mentioned before;
o our house was re-built around 1915 (cavity walls, etc.) whereas the next three house, all thatched, all circa 1700, all Listed, all with Sky aerials, none of which has LBC; but those owners did not get that letter; and
o it is a "temporary" fitting !

We firmly believe that this victimisation is a direct result of our complaints about and to the Council for the un-necessary hoops they have been making us jump through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back