Drop Kerb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to put a car hard standing in our back garden, with access over a D Class cul-de-sac road. We have confirmation from the Local Planning Authority that planning permission is NOT required, only the consent from the County Hall Highways department for the drop kerb. We selected one of the contractors from the list provided by the Highways dept. and he has submitted the application form and paid the fee, but now the Highways department say they're putting the application "on hold" because they've received objections from local residents.

Can the Highways department withhold consent for this reason? Isn't their role simply to oversee the work and ensure it's done to LA standards?

Any guidance or advice on how to get things moving would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No the highways dept still have an obligation to ensure that the highways are safe, and will follow government published guidance

Normally, it is sight-lines when exiting which might be an issue

No the highways dept still have an obligation to ensure that the highways are safe, and will follow government published guidance

Normally, it is sight-lines when exiting which might be an issue

Thanks for the reply Woody & I understand what you say about safety issues. I could understand if the issue was safety, but it's not & sight lines aren't a problem as the entrance will be at the end of the cul-de-sac. The Highways dept. are blocking us because a couple of residents have written to them saying they don't want the extra traffic in the cul-de-sac.

As safety and sight lines aren't an issue plus we'd use one of the HD's recommended contractors on what basis can they withhold their consent?

Is there a formal, published, process the HD must follow for Consent applications, similar to Planning Process?

The work can not be refused purely on the basis of objections, as if the access conforms to the DETR guidance then it would be acceptable

It may be that this is purely a procedural matter in that the council is merely looking into the complaints to see if the complaints are relevant to the guidelines. Its not like the planning process.

The neighbours complaints of extra traffic may on the face of it be a relevant safety issue, but in reality there is no actual issue with one car accessing a domestic drive and so the complaint should not be valid

Sponsored Links
The Highways Dept are now saying there may be an issue with the proposed dropped kerb and driveway being from my back garden onto another road i.e not the same road as the house address.

I can't find anything on the net to help me. Is anyone aware of this being as issue?

Seems like a load of rubbish to me. Ask them for a reference or policy which this is supposed to contravene

Ive got a driveway and drop kerb coming from rear of my garden onto road other than house address, and ive just applied for new drop kerb to front of house and be given the go ahead..

Maybe different rules where you are but thought the Highways Dept was the same throughout the country?

Jon

Thank for the replies, particularly Woody. Have heard today that the HD have finally given in and approved the application. Just for info. the HD say the would have refused it if we'd already got a drop kerb at the front of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back