Litter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Washington Tyne & Wear. Its a modern town with excellent roads which are lined with grass verges and trees. Whats depressing as I drive around is, these verges are strewn with litter. This eyesore consists mainly drinks cartons and bottles which have obviously been hurled from vehicle windows by inconsiderate drivers, or, if you prefer morons.
I was brought up in an era when everything man made was of some value, to the extent that bottles and jars were returnable to the retailer/wholesaler for the refund of a small but worth while deposit and we kids would gladly take them back for the few pence refund.
I think now, that legislation should be enacted to make all manufacturers packaging have a refundable deposit paid on its return to the supplier. This would discourage littering whilst encouraging manufacturers to minimise packaging. As in the main it would be their responsibility to dispose of it once it had been returned.
The detail would have to be worked out. But we could start with a match box @ 5p deposit, pop bottle @ 20p. the box the new television comes in £5 deposit etc.

Sponsored Links
Agreed with every single word, and maybe kids should be made to spend some of their spare time litter picking in the hope that it will educate them to become responsible citizens.
A short story-
probably 20 years ago I worked in the small village of Llanymynech which straddles the English Welsh boarder, and in that village lived an old woman who was called or at least refered to as miss Pew. This old woman would walk up and down the main street picking up rubbish and litter, but only from the English side of the street , she wouldn't touch the Welsh side and then after picking up her load of litter would walk to the bridge at end of the road and dump it all in the river :eek:

i have just bought a litter picking stick from a car boot sale for 50p and pick up the litter near my house, if you do not like the litter pick it up, simples

Around my house is ok and I do pick up litter in the street, particularly when the lazy refuse operators spill it then ignore it. The problem is the main highways, sometimes dual carrigways and the grass verges thereon.

The "simples" thing is for people to stop littering

Sponsored Links
It's breathing that really annoys me, some people IN and OUT all day with no consideration for anyone else

I blame the parents

The problem is, modern parenting means that kids are no longer taught this basic stuff. The 2-parent family no longer exists in a lot of cases, kids being split down the middle between two households. This causes them to be confused, and spoilt - they get 2 lots of pocket money, 2 lots of toys, etc.

Kids run riot, screaming around my shop while their parents gossip - I'd have been slapped for this when I was a kid - I wouldnt have done it in the first place. Teens and people in early 20's sit in cars in my car park, throwing macdonalds litter out the windows and smoking weed.

Parents have no influence, its peer pressure that kids listen to now.

And who do parents blame? The schools. Discipline begins at home, morons.

Parents today havent got a bloody clue. When I have kids they will be well behaved and have a modest amount of pocket money and toys.

i have just bought a litter picking stick from a car boot sale for 50p

But Merlin aren't you embarassed to admit on a DIY forum that you actually went out and BOUGHT a litter picking stick which is really nothing more than a nail in a broom stall? :oops:

You only need to phone a car reg to the local environmental offices to have a good chance of a prosecution.
I've did it a few times. Cousin is an officer and they approach the car owner and ask them if they were driving the vehicle at a certain time/date and if they say yes , bingo. :mrgreen:

They should be forced to gather up all the litter over a 10 mile stretch of road as punishment along with the fine. :evil:

Our council installed a few mobile cameras at flytipping blackspots. As soon as they were taken down, back came the black bags.

I'd volunteer to go through the bags and find addresses. When I have the drive done I will make sure my contractor uses a skip or has a certificate.

The problem is, modern parenting means that kids are no longer taught this basic stuff. The 2-parent family no longer exists in a lot of cases, kids being split down the middle between two households. This causes them to be confused, and spoilt - they get 2 lots of pocket money, 2 lots of toys, etc.

Kids run riot, screaming around my shop while their parents gossip - I'd have been slapped for this when I was a kid - I wouldnt have done it in the first place. Teens and people in early 20's sit in cars in my car park, throwing macdonalds litter out the windows and smoking weed.

Parents have no influence, its peer pressure that kids listen to now.

And who do parents blame? The schools. Discipline begins at home, morons.

Parents today havent got a bloody clue. When I have kids they will be well behaved and have a modest amount of pocket money and toys.

Steve its your fault these kids run riot in your store, your the manager STOP IT! tell them to behave or leave the store............ I know, I know you'd rather chew off your own arm than face up to some chavvy, tracksuited, gold ( well gold coloured copper) drapped bint who will only give you a mouthfull of abuse about how you cant tell her kids off and she'll have the law on you, you pedo SOB and the father of one (or all the fathers) of her kids will come round and kick your effin head in...

The problem is, I'm afraid, that 90% of the people of this country think that they have the god given right to do as they choose regardless of how it affects others. They cannot and will not be told, by anyone, what is right and wrong and that their actions have consequences.

It all started about 30 yrs ago when I was a lad at school and somebody somewhere decided that kids have rights................its been downhill ever since. I am not relidious in any sense but the adage of "do unto others as you would have done unto yourself" holds true in my life. I will not do anything that inconveniences others, I will carry my litter home if I can't find a bin and I keep myself to myself (until pushed too far)

I have two kids, one 6 the other 5, and when out shopping they wind each other up rotten and me and their mum, most of the time they are well behaved and are doing excellently at school, but they can be little buggers and when the mood takes them no amount of cadjouling or strictness will help. And this is two kids you have very little, no nintendo DS, no Playstation, no flash gizmo's or fancy toys, just lots of attention from mum and dad. We do have a Wii, but its only for two player games and we use it for about 4hrs a week.

Wait until you have kids then you will soon see how your best laid plans fair ;)

As far as an answer to the problems, bring back national service I say!!!

Steve its your fault hese kids run riot in your store, your the manager STOP IT! tell them to behave or leave the store............ I know, I know you'd rather chew off your own arm than face up to some chavvy, tracksuited, gold ( well gold coloured copper) drapped bint who will only give you a mouthfull of abuse about how you cant tell her kids off and she'll have the law on you, you pedo SOB and the father of one (or all the fathers) of her kids will come round and kick your effin head in...
Exactly. Time was, a shopkeep could verbally discipline kids without risk of physical or verbal abuse - or compo claims!

The problem is, I'm afraid, that 90% of the people of this country think that they have the god given right to do as they choose regardless of how it affects others. They cannot and will not be told, by anyone, what is right and wrong and that their actions have consequences.
No, the problem is, that probably 75% of these people are parents and are passing on their beliefs/values/lack thereof to their offspring.

Working in convenience retailing, I see the lowest of every part of society. Old people who think society owes them something and look at everyone like they are scum. Young self-riteous people who park on double yellows in front of the shop, totally ignoring the delivery lorry they just obstructed blowing its horn at them (because their life is much more important than everyone else's). People placing change onto the counter for me to pick up, instead of into my palm WHICH IM HOLDING OUT. THIS IS VERY RUDE.

People coming in stinking of weed, booze, fags, who come in every day smelling like this, to buy more fags, booze and rizlas.

Its sad, but this is how society is today.

Working in convenience retailing, I see the lowest of every part of society. Old people who think society owes them something and look at everyone like they are scum. Young self-riteous people who park on double yellows in front of the shop, totally ignoring the delivery lorry they just obstructed blowing its horn at them (because their life is much more important than everyone else's). People placing change onto the counter for me to pick up, instead of into my palm WHICH IM HOLDING OUT. THIS IS VERY RUDE.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
God, I've missed Steve on General Disscussion :LOL: :LOL:

The grumpiness has always been second to none..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Love it.

I was on the bus today, and a young mother with 2 kids (she was attractive), her kids were finding anything to screw up, and throw around, I gave her back a bottle 3 times, coke cans, pie wrappers, bus tickets were strewn about, with no mention from the mother. She was a hottie though.

But Micky,,, you forget, you had her in your mind when you got home, so the litter, screaming kids and bottles to hand back 3 times were last things on your mind. I often fantasize about lasses on the bus too. Your not alone.
On the bus this morning, at the second stop along, this youngish woman got on. I was praying to God that she sat next to me. When she wandered down the bus and did sit next to me I remember thinking "There is a God Hallelujah." and "Thank God for public transport." Still had her in mind when I got home ;) ;) ;)

Only thing that spoiled the illusion was the fact that I was on an Arriva bus, which smelled of last nights kebab, mixed with Jeyes fluid and Domestos. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back