Live and neutral reversal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two questions which I would be grateful to have answered.

Firstly, in a domestic situation is the neutral conductor ever "live" ie is it safe to touch?

What would happen if the live and neutral connections are reversed in a socket? Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
**** Firstly, in a domestic situation is the neutral conductor ever "live" ie is it safe to touch?

Sometimes there is a voltage on it
Also if you part two neutrals you may get voltage and the current from something else on that circuit coming back through that neutral

***** What would happen if the live and neutral connections are reversed in a socket?

If you had a fault to earth on the appliance plugged in, the fault current would not go through the plug fuse.
Also the appliance switch would turn off the appliance by cutting the N instead of L possibly leaving it unsafe

There's borrowed neutrals as well which are normally, but not exclusively found in lighting circuits, in practice it means you can think you've isolated a circuit and whilst the live wire is dead, there is current able to flow from the live of another circuit into the neutral of the circuit you are working on. I've had some of my nastiest belts off neutrals for this very reason.
It just underpins the need to be aware that just because something shouldn't be done it COULD be and to always check for dead on all conductors before commencing work on a circuit.

Hello

I always go by the rule
Neutral = Live conductor in definition + practice and should be treated with the same respect that you would show to a live conductor.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Please don't misinterpret this question: I am not having a go...

I am not

Locking off the MCB would be a safe isolation proceedure, but does not eliminate a borrowed neutral situation.

What would be safe isolation?

Do you follow safe isolation procedures?

Yes, still alive and kicking!

Safe isolation does also include using a tester to check for dead, which is great, but as shortcircuit48 rightly points out borrowed neutrals are a little different as you can check for dead and get on with things, but when householder energises the device that is borrowing the neutral whilst you are working chances are theres a fair few volts heading your way!

It just underpins the need to be aware that just because something shouldn't be done it COULD be and to always check for dead on all conductors before commencing work on a circuit.
and after cutting or disconnecting cables as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back