Live cable beehind bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time ago (just pre-Part P) my Mum got a neighbour to remove a light-up bathroom mirror (with integral pullswitch) and replace with a standard, non-electric hanging mirror.

I had a look recently to see what he did with the (live) T&E cable that emerged from the wall behind the hanging mirror. All he had done was terminate the end of the cable in a strip connector and covered with Black Insulation Tape (I understand this is common but dubious practice).

I know this is no longer/was ever acceptable. I am reassured to some degree as Mum has a whole-house RCD. However, I would like to know how I could make it safe.

Am a required to fit a (replacement) light on the end of the cable, or could I simply replace all that tape with one of those new "Choc Boxes" that I understand covers and safely insulates the choc block (the area of the bathroom in Question is outside the Zones for IP).

All help gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Best way would be find the other end of cable and dicconnect and remmove it

Choc box enclousre or small round JB could be possible solution but I'd be a little concerned about condensation occuring

Or if its not tiled, could you chop in an architrave or 16mm switch box and blank plate it, and run a bead of silicon along the top edge of the blank plate

But disconnecting it is by far the best option

Since theres no obvious physical way of spotting a chased or cavity hidden cable it isn't in a cable zone. So leaving it live (even in a jb /box enc) is wrong.

Have you thought about a high level (in line with the cable drop) fused spur fit.
Provided you have the head height 2.25m it would be outside zones, identified as a cable zone due to spur fit and might be useful in the future should a lamp over the mirror be required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back