Illuminated mirror, cable or flex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My bathroom has been stripped back to bare brick and before the plasterer comes to render I'd like to run the cable needed to power the illuminated mirror.

I have one of these on order...

http://www.onlinelighting.co.uk/sho.../astro-imola-illuminated-bathroom-492942.html

The unit is IP44 Rated, Double Insulated and has it's own switch.

So I have three and a half questions:

1. Since no earth is required should I use flex or can I use the same T+E as the lighting circuit? I'm thinking T+E would be better incase the fitting is replaced with one that needs an earth. If so what's the best way to terminate the earth?

2. The cable will be pinned to the wall using clips and covered with steel galvanised capping before being cemented over. Is that ok?

3. Will this feed directly from the current ceiling light or will it need to be a fused spur?

Part P aside, I'm just ordering the components and laying cable runs, but I like to understand what the electrician is doing in advance :)

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Use normal twin and earth.
2) Yep, might not even need the clips
3) Direct from the lighting circuit.
4) The circuit should also be included in the supplementary bonding arrangements.

Great - Thanks Spark!
Could you explain a bit more about 4 though. What needs to be done there?

Your electrician should be able to advise, if the work is being carried out to the 16th edition of the regulations the CPC of each circuit in the zones of the bathroom i.e. lights, shower etc should be locally bonded to any extraneous metalwork i.e. metal water pipes, metal building structure in the zones. There is some more information here: clicky

Sponsored Links
ok so regarding supplementary bonding arrangements...
Will this mean the electrician attaching a green/yellow cable from the mirror to the copper pipes below?

If so should I fix more capping underneath the mirror so that this cable can also be hidden in the render?

It depends, is supplementary bonding to the lighting circuit already installed?

At the moment all I have is a central bathroom light with L, N and E.
These electrics are at least 20 years old.
Do I have supplementary bonding to the lighting circuit already installed?
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back