Illuminated mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm have bought an illuminated mirror to replace a shaver socket with. The mirror is heated and has a shaver socket. Its rated power is Max 300W. There's sufficient spare capacity on the circuit.

The manufacturer's instructions says to use 1.5 or 1.75 mm^2 T&E.

The existing cable is all 1.0mm^2.

Any ideas why the instructions say to use 1.5 or 1.75mm^2 cable? I can't see why the existing 1.0mm^2 cable, which is protected by a 3A FCU / RCD (spurred of a 6A circuit), isn't sufficient.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if the instructions say yea shall use 1.5, then 1.5 yea must use.

manufacturers instructions must be followed regardless of weather lower specs would be suitable on paper.

I can't disagree re following the instructions. I'd like to know why they specify those cable sizes though.

What the instructions say is:

"Insert a 3-core 1.5 or 1.75mm cable through the pierced hole in the protective cover and thread the cable through from behind the back box into the power supply"

That's the only mention of the cable being 1.5 / 1.75mm^2. If there is a genuine need for larger cable for power reasons (and I can't see how there can be when it's rated at "300W Max") then running a new length of 1.5mm^2 to the mirror would comply with the instructions but leave the remaining cable for that circuit in 1.0mm^2.

I might try ringing the manufacturer and asking them tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
370c8_2m3fuba.jpg

Perhaps :?:

I can't disagree re following the instructions. I'd like to know why they specify those cable sizes though.

What the instructions say is:

"Insert a 3-core 1.5 or 1.75mm cable
Does 1.75 mm even exist

Not that I'm aware of.

I don't think there is a size between 1.5mm² and 2.5mm²

Certainly not a standard size anyway.

"Insert a 3-core 1.5 or 1.75mm cable through the pierced hole in the protective cover and thread the cable through from behind the back box into the power supply".

"power supply" Is this the 230 volt supply point or a box supplied with the mirror. Could the "power supply" be a transformer supplying the mirror's heater with an isolated and reduced voltage as a safety measure ? If the heater is extra low voltage then current would be higher and voltage drop would be significant in a thin cable.

"Insert a 3-core 1.5 or 1.75mm cable through the pierced hole in the protective cover and thread the cable through from behind the back box into the power supply".

"power supply" Is this the 230 volt supply point or a box supplied with the mirror. Could the "power supply" be a transformer supplying the mirror's heater with an isolated and reduced voltage as a safety measure ? If the heater is extra low voltage then current would be higher and voltage drop would be significant in a thin cable.

There's no external transformer just a 230V T&E feed through a rubber grommet in the rear of the mirror.

The grommet is the standard type that you pierce so I can't see the cable's outside dimensions making a difference there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back