Illuminated Mirrior filling - electrics questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been refreshing my bathroom recently and want to replace a small wall mounted strip light that included a shaver socket (240V /60W)

I bought an illuminated mirror 240V / 300W and wanted to use the power supply that the strip light formerly used.

The problems I have are:

The cable is fairly stuck in the wall, and I might have to remove tiles (that I have no match for to free it up.

The cable is too short to stretch.

The cable is flexible white 2 core (brown and blue).

The mirror requires an earth, so having only brown and blue cores creates an issue.

I bought flexible white 3 core (sufficiently rated) which I intended to feed through and replace the 2 core (should I even be able to feed this through form power supply point in the attic). However on disconnecting the 2 core from the junction box on that circuit, there are no other earth wires present (only grey non flex (red and black)). If I was successful in replacing the existing 2 core with the 3 core, how should I cater for the earth in the junction box?

Currently I have disconnected the 2 core from the circuit while I work out what I should do next.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have no earth then you may not use that mirror light, and that's all there is to it.

Take it back and get one which doesn't need an earth.

, and what makes them functionally different that they require no earthing?

Thanks again.

Sounds like you need to run a new cable to the junction box so that you have an earth there.

Sponsored Links
thanks, if I did, what sort of point is considered a suitable earth point in an attic?

Thanks.

Somewhere on the lighting circuit - BUT

if the junction box IS on the lighting circuit and it (the whole circuit) is not earthed then all you can do is rewire the whole circuit.

ithat 3 way junction box (teminal) is on the same 'upper lighting' circuit yes.

there will be other feeds (and junction boxes) for other upstairs rooms etc but as far as I have seen there are only grey 2 cores terminating.

was this just an older style of wiring before earth cables were introduced?

Thanks.

Is the wiring in metal conduit anywhere?

If I asked if your house was wired before 1966, would you say "quite possibly"?

Do you have any metal light switches?

Any metal light fittings?

so Im likley to need a rewiring job then? either that or I just forget the lit mirror and revert to what I had (wired the way it was) and let the stip light fail if theres an issue?

are those my basic options? seems grim... :(

so Im likley to need a rewiring job then? either that or I just forget the lit mirror and revert to what I had (wired the way it was) and let the stip light fail if theres an issue?
It may not be a case of that either or.

If your lighting circuit has no earth then your wiring is of the order of 50 years old, and you would be strongly advised to have it all inspected and tested.

If your lighting circuit has no earth then you must not use metal light switches - any you have must be replaced as a mater of urgency.

If your lighting circuit has no earth then you should not have metal light fittings - if you do then exercise care when changing bulbs - kill the power to the circuit before touching it.

thanks for all the advice - it's really appreciated whilst perhaps not what I want to hear!

As it turns out I do have some metal switches (one with a dimmer) and have some metal light fittings too....the house is around 1900 but must have been 'reasonably recently rewired (at least in part)...consumer unit looks new enough (some pics attached)? However I do still seee some metal conduit pipes for some wires going to the attic etc

can rewiring be done circuit by circuit? what is the typical sort of cost for a large 4 bed house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back