help with 2 wire entering celing rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am changing a batton light fitting to a pendant in a room. but im stuck enfortunatly. Currently i have disconnected the old fitting and have just 2 wires coming out from the celing.

The 2 wires each have a 2 core and earth.

1. I take it one of the wire is the power in and the other is to switch wire?

2.am i right in saying to indentify the power in from the switch wire if i hold a tester to the brown cores on each wire only the brown core on one wire will show live and that will be power in?

3. my to switch cable is my main problem as the cores are 2 BROWN and earth unlike the power in cable which is 1 brown, 1 blue and earth. I dont know which brown core from the switch wire goes into which of the terminals, either the loop or live. will it matter if i have the 2 brown cores coming out from the switch wire mixed up?

thanks you all for your time and any advise is welcome thank you

Sponsored Links
The blue and brown should be permanent live and neutral, the two browns should be the switch cable.

Some voltage detectors will pick up induced voltages from capacitive coupling within wiring, so they do not always give a true indication. They may show multiple live conductors when only one is really connected, but at least they err on the side of safety.

It usually makes no difference to user safety or function if the wires are reversed in the switch. From the servicing point of view, it is common practise is to connect the permanent live to 'C' of the switch, but nobody should take that for granted anyway - or work on a circuit or fitting that hasn't been safely isolated elsewhere first!

will it matter if i have the 2 brown cores coming out from the switch wire mixed up?

Provided there are no other wires in the switch ( other than the earth ) then it will not matter which of the browns is connected to the lamp and which to the incoming live at the ceiling rose.

1. I take it one of the wire is the power in and the other is to switch wire?
Probably. The fact that one of the cables is twin brown makes it as probable as the government ******g up the economy.

2.am i right in saying to indentify the power in from the switch wire if i hold a tester to the brown cores on each wire only the brown core on one wire will show live and that will be power in?
No, for two reasons.

1) It sounds like you're talking about a neon screwdriver, or voltstick type of thing. Should be thrown away and replaced by a proper 2-terminal tester.

2) It requires you to work live.

With the power off use your multimeter on a low-ohm/continuity setting to confirm that the twin brown is the switch wire.

will it matter if i have the 2 brown cores coming out from the switch wire mixed up?
No.

any advise is welcome thank you
I advise making a note of what goes where before removing the old fitting then you'll know which wire is which. :D

Sponsored Links
thanks so the 2 brown core wire is the switch wire and i will be okay if i got them 2 brown cores mixed at the terminal end (loop & L) at celing rose. by the way just opened up the wall switch and it has 2 brown cores and a ground core. 1 brown core is connected to 1 way and the other brown core to the com terminal. so just to clarify these 2 browns on switch wire doesnt matter which way round they go at switch end or celing end would that be correct.

ps i did mark them before i removed it but when removed the wiring out from the old rose one of the markers came off lol

What type of fitting has your batten unit got - bayonet or edison?

thanks so the 2 brown core wire is the switch wire and i will be okay if i got them 2 brown cores mixed at the terminal end (loop & L) at celing rose. by the way just opened up the wall switch and it has 2 brown cores and a ground core. 1 brown core is connected to 1 way and the other brown core to the com terminal. so just to clarify these 2 browns on switch wire doesnt matter which way round they go at switch end or celing end would that be correct.

ps i did mark them before i removed it but when removed the wiring out from the old rose one of the markers came off lol

If you have one brown as com and the other as L1 then it is the L1 that is switch live and com as permanent live - this needs to be reflected at the batten - or you could have the light on permanently.

Riveralt - can you post a drawing showing why swapping the switch wires around could make the light permanently on?

:LOL:

i wired it all up and the bulb switches off and on when i turn the switch on or off on the wall. Would I be ok to assume all is ok then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back