Bathroom Pull Cord - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a house and the pull cord in the bathroom was on a horrible automatic sensor - I want to remove this and add a bog standard pull cord.

This is where I ran into a problem.

I thought I made a note of which wires went where, but looks like I was wrong.

The wires I have are.

X1 cable with 3 core and 1 earth
X1 cable with 2 core and 1 earth

Can you let me know what goes where, it looks to me as though the 2 core cable is to the fuse box (or another light circuit) and the 3 is to the bathroom spotlights

The 2 core has brown and blue and earth

The 3 core has black, grey, brown and earth.

Can you let me know which should be the common?

Then how to group L1 - L2 etc - do I need to group the common?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need to establish that the 3core does connect to the light and what colour combination has been used, also if you have an extractor fan connected to the lighting circuit.

Regards,

DS

Firstly you need to establish that the 3core does connect to the light and what colour combination has been used, also if you have an extractor fan connected to the lighting circuit.

Regards,

DS

Hi, I have been up in the loft and can see that the fan is wired into the lighting circuit - but I can not see which combination.

The fan has never worked (only bought it 2 weeks ago) but it is wired into the same circuit in the loft.

Hi,

To ensure its safe you would need to know what wiring at the light is.

I would expect -

Brown =com
Blue = neutral connect to black of 3 core with connector block. Brown switch wire to light connect to L1 or L2.

BUT YOU NEED TO CHECK AT THE LIGHT, as to what the grey is connected to.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Ok, thank you so far.

What is the best way to see? I have 8 spotlights in the ceiling I don't mind tracing the cables, just don't know where to.

What could the grey be?

Do you mean, just but the black and brown in a connection box and that's it? No not connected to anything else?

No. Please stop.

2 core cable Brown connect to switch Com.

Don't worry, I'm not doing anything at the moment as its dark and I need light

I am just gathering the info if possible so I can do it tomorrow.

Sorry, I read it wrong first time

2 core cable - Brown to common, blue to 3 core black but just in connection block? Doesn't that need connecting to anything else? Just joined together?

Then the brown from the 3 core to L1 or L2

What could the grey be? How can I find out?

Hi, good ! :eek:

Yes that's correct blue and black connect together.

Regards,

DS

Hi, good ! :eek:

Yes that's correct blue and black connect together.

Regards,

DS

:)

So just the pesky grey, could I put that in the other L? - I know you are working on assumption that everything else is as it should be - so what should the grey be?

Sorry to be a pain

Hi, sorry i was cooking!

If the lights work with the brown connected to L1 it's possible that the grey is used as a SL to the fan via L2.

Further investigation is required at the fan connections.

If the brown wire connected to L1 does not operate the light swap it with the grey wire.

Be carefull if in doubt get an electrician.

Regards,

DS

If the brown wire connected to L1 does not operate the light swap it with the grey wire.

Would it be with putting them both in L1? - would that cause a short?

If it does work, and the grey in L2 doesn't operate the fan where should I put it?

I would put it in a connector block at the back of the pullcord box until you investigate the fan wiring.

Regards,

DS

I would prefer you establish if the grey wire is connected to the fan before connecting it. You don't want live cables lying around in the loft!

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back