wiring a 2 way pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya guys, am wiring a 2 way pull cord, i took the old one down and earth way in earth 2 reds was in common and black and blue was in l2 i have got a new pull cord wired it up the same earth in earth 2 reds in common and black and blue in l2 and it only works with the pull cord, the switch on the wall doesnt work, please help me, am getting stressed, thanks ryan

Sponsored Links
hiya guys, am wiring a 2 way pull cord, i took the old one down and earth way in earth 2 reds was in common and black and blue was in l2 i have got a new pull cord wired it up the same earth in earth 2 reds in common and black and blue in l2 and it only works with the pull cord, the switch on the wall doesnt work, please help me, am getting stressed, thanks ryan

If you have a two way circuit between the switch and the pull cord then the three core cable should be matched between the symbols on both the switch and the pull cord. A photograph of the inside of the wall switch would be helpful.

From what you say at the pull cord you have three core and earth (red,blue, yellow and earth) and a two core and earth (red, black and earth)
Assuming that the two core (red/black) is your live and switch live then the red should go to L1 the black (with red sleeve) to L2.
For the three core you would match the terminals at the pull switch with that of the wall switch. So for example red = Common, blue(with red sleeve) = L1 and yellow(with red sleeve) in L2..... Same for the wall switch.
Make sure your earths are also connected and sleeved.

Sponsored Links
I can't get to the wall switch mate. That's the problem. Ha but I have bin the old pull cord. Any other idea mate?

do you have a third unconnected yellow wire or not?

Not earth, just plain yellow?

If so, and your sure the others are in the right place, it should probably go in L1

I can't get to the wall switch mate. That's the problem. Ha but I have bin the old pull cord. Any other idea mate?
But I thought you said that
the switch on the wall doesnt work,
So I'm unclear how you cannot get access to it.
Do you have one three core (red,blue and yellow) and earth and one two core(red & black) and earth at the pull cord?

IT all use to work fine. MY mum has paper the wall fitting it so I can't take it off. When I get home do you want me to take a picture off it. I think they might be another yellow there. I can press the wall switch but just can't take the cover off to look inside it mate

IT all use to work fine. MY mum has paper the wall fitting it so I can't take it off.
Your having a laugh now aren't you?
When I get home do you want me to take a picture off it.
Of wallpaper covering a switch - no - don't think there is much value in that do you?
I think they might be another yellow there. I can press the wall switch but just can't take the cover off to look inside it mate
If you want to fix this properly and stop yourself getting 'stressed' then I would suggest that you remove the wallpaper around the switch- switch of the electricity and have a look and clearly photograph how the cables at the wall switch are connected - then also check and answer the question regarding the number and type of cables sticking out of the ceiling where the pull cord goes/went.

I know. I will see if I can get it off. She is 67 this year and loves doing her own jobs. Ha. I will see if I can get it off and take a picture off the switch and the pull cord switch. DO you want a picture off the light fitting?

At the switch note which colour cable goes into which marked terminal - looks like yellow = Common for starters. What colour is in L1 and L2.

At the pull cord put the Twin & Earth (red and black) into the L1 and L2 terminals respectively.
From the Three core and earth put the yellow into Common and then the red and blue into the same marked terminal as the wall switch.
So at the pull cord you should have one yellow cable in Common and two cables in L1 and L2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back