Replacing a shaver socket with a heated mirror notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I understand under Part P there is very little that I am allowed to do myself in the bathroom. I would like to replace an existing shaver socket with an illuminated mirror that includes a heat pad and shaver socket. The lighting circuit is RCD protected, does this qualify as a like for like replacement? This is a holiday rental property so while I am very confident and competent to do this myself I want to check if I am allowed to do so.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I understand under Part P there is very little that I am allowed to do myself in the bathroom.
Wrong.

I would like to replace an existing shaver socket with an illuminated mirror that includes a heat pad and shaver socket. The lighting circuit is RCD protected, does this qualify as a like for like replacement?
No such thing as like-for-like.
The term is just 'replacement' which you are allowed to do.

This is a holiday rental property so while I am very confident and competent to do this myself I want to check if I am allowed to do so
Then you should have an electrician do it who will have all the necessary testing equipment and insurance.

Hi,
I understand under Part P there is very little that I am allowed to do myself in the bathroom.
You can do it all yourself, but you are dictated by zones for notifiable/nob-notifable work. If the work is in a notifiable zone, then the notifiable process would be required, but providing you are electrically skilled that should not be that difficult to achieve
I would like to replace an existing shaver socket with an illuminated mirror that includes a heat pad and shaver socket. The lighting circuit is RCD protected, does this qualify as a like for like replacement?
Some do not like the "like for like terminology", in my mind you are replacing a shaver socket but also adding additional equipment that is not similar.
This is a holiday rental property so while I am very confident and competent to do this myself I want to check if I am allowed to do so.
If you are the landlord of this property, you have a legal obligation to make sure the work undertaken and the equipment fitted, is safely installed and safe to be put into service, how you prove that is down to you! But I would suggest that the correct methods are used as stated in BS7671 and that the testing procedure and documentation of those finding are noted in the required forms and those results are understood and compliant.

If you are not the landlord, you need to speak to them regarding this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back