Power breaker for bathroom Illuminated mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just mounted a illuminated bathroom mirror above my bathroom sink.

I got to wire the lighting cable up to the pull switch on the mirror. I take it is preferable to have a power-breaker (RCD) in line in which would minimise any risk. Would a RCD work in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Here's how I read the regs,,

All additions, alterations or new installations should be carried out IAW the current regs; the regs are also not retrospective, so existing stuff can remain as they were installed

Keeping it simple..

The current regs state that all circuits within a bathroom need to have RCD protection, any cables (T&E need to have RCD protection also if they are buried <50 mm)

So whilst your existing circuits / cables don't need to be RCD protected, the new cables you install do, although it would be better/safer to RCD protect the whole circuit..

Points to note..

Is your main earth the correct size?
Is your protective earth bonding up to size?
Do you already have RCD protection on the circuit?
Do you live in England or Wales??? If so this work is notifiable under Part P of the building regs!!!

The circuit wire was put in 1996 when all of the house was completely reloomed. At the time I didn't know what I wanted there & the sparky capped of the end of the cable, until I had decided.

Now I have the mirror up I want to unscrew the cap and fit the wire to the mirror.

So it's not really a new connection just a fitting of a appliance as such.

The circuit should have RCD protaction, as connected to a RCD Wylex consumer box, which is fitted.

So when your property was rewired the electrician left a connection plate for you to connect something to??

If so then you could just fit it, as you are as you say just connecting an appliance as such..

Without seeing your consumer unit it would be very difficult to tell wether you have RCD protection on your lighting circuit,, a picture would help!! I know RCD protection was a requirement for D/S sockets, but you didn't have to have it on any other circuit!, so you may have a split load cu or you could have a RCD main switch. :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Correct; the electrician left a connection plate for me to connect too. So just got to connect up, there is no altering of the wiring required.

OK, all I know that hen I knock of the lighting circuit I just flip the RCD for the circuit up and it cuts off the lights.

The Wylex consumer unit is a few editions ago, as now 13 years old.

:oops: Are we talking MCB or RCD here ?? :eek:
If you dont know what I am am saying I suggest you call the electrician back to do/ and sign the work off for you. ;)

Ed

Sorry yes talking MCB, I don't have a RCD. Just got the 6 MCB and the main switch.

Do you think it would be worth while getting someone to upgrade the consumer unit?

ok cheers. But worthwhile to install a powerbreaker though?
An RCD yes. powerbreaker is a brand name. Other brands are available.

The mainswitch in your consumer unit - does it have a small test button?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back