Illuminated Bathroom Mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at fitting an illuminated bathroom mirror, which will be located outside of the zones.
Should this be connected to the upstairs ring main, or to the lighting ring main?
Does it matter?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
  1. You can connect to either - you'll need an FCU if you want to come off the socket circuit. There's something to be said for the logic of it being on the lighting circuit, and something to be said for it being on a socket circuit so that you have an alternative source of lighting if the lighting circuit goes bad.

2. Lighting circuits are not rings - I suggest you familiarise yourself with them before you start work, lest you make, for example, the common mistake of assuming that all blacks/blues are neutrals. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

3. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Sorry BAS, yes, my bad refering to the lighting circuit as a ring, and yes I am aware of the colour differences when related to lighting switching, but also you can be assured I will read though your linked information as well :)

I have a feeling that the socket ring is run under the floor, whereas the lighting circuit is accessible in the loft, so that will likely make my choice of which circuit to use.
Am I correct in thinking that if I come from the lighting circuit I do not need an FCU, but that if I come from the socket ring I WILL need an FCU, but the FCU must not be located within the bathroom, even if it is outside of the restricted zones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back