Illuminated mirror in wet room - IP44 with an RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to establish whether I can put an illuminated mirror in my newly converted wet room?
The room is only 2.38m x 1.28m so I'd assume it's all zone 0 or 1.

It appears that there is nothing higher than IP44 in the illuminated mirrors market. One supplier has said that the way round it is to have the IP44 mirror, but have an RCD installed on the bathroom circuit.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Per 17th edition all circuits in toa bathroom should be on an RCD anyway.

If your floor to ceiling height is above 2.25 you could have a high mount f/spur and feed from there via wall cavity (if p/board) or chase.

IP44 is allowed in zone 1, is the unit 230v or ELV / 12v ?

As per reg 701.411.3.3 all circuits within a location containing a shower or bath shall have additional protection by a 30mA RCD. So you should fit one anyways,

As you say it's a wet room I assume the shower is without a basin. If so then anywhere inside a distance of 1.20m from the fixed water outlet is classed as zone 0 and 1. Outside of this then it's zone 2.

As per reg 701.512.2 all installed electrical equipment outside of zone 0 can be of IPX4 so if you can get that mirror beyond that 1.20m thresh hold you should be ok

Sponsored Links
Per 17th edition all circuits in toa bathroom should be on an RCD anyway.

If your floor to ceiling height is above 2.25 you could have a high mount f/spur and feed from there via wall cavity (if p/board) or chase.

IP44 is allowed in zone 1, is the unit 230v or ELV / 12v ?

The description says it's low energy (not very useful, but presumably therefore not 230V). It says it's allowed in zone 1. The problem is that the shower head is not fixed and therefore (if you were totally moronic) you could pull the shower head towards the mirror and it would practically touch it, meaning I think it can't be installed safely.

I just can't believe nobody's come up with an IP65 mirror yet!

As per reg 701.411.3.3 all circuits within a location containing a shower or bath shall have additional protection by a 30mA RCD. So you should fit one anyways,

As you say it's a wet room I assume the shower is without a basin. If so then anywhere inside a distance of 1.20m from the fixed water outlet is classed as zone 0 and 1. Outside of this then it's zone 2.

As per reg 701.512.2 all installed electrical equipment outside of zone 0 can be of IPX4 so if you can get that mirror beyond that 1.20m thresh hold you should be ok

When you say fixed water outlet - does it not matter if the shower hose stretches away from the wall?
thanks.

Well, firstly, in a wet room there is no Zone 2, not of any shape or size.

And if the water outlet is not fixed then the extent of Zone 0/1 is not as described above. In fact it is undefined, but I guess it would be reasonable to to regard it as being an arc with a radius 1.2m greater than the arc described by the shower head.

But luminaires are allowed in Zone 1, and the maker of this one says it's OK for Zone 1, so.... :confused:

You say "if you were totally moronic you could pull the shower head towards the mirror", but remember in a traditional shower enclosure Zone 1 is actually inside it.

BTW - "low energy" does not imply "extra low voltage".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back