Bathroom Mirror Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new bathroom mirror light and have to run a spur to the bathroom light of the existing lighting circuit.

The lighting system is protected by the main CU 63A 30ma RCD breaker.

The question is, do I have to run the bathroom mirror light via a rcd fcu or will the CU breaker be ok

I am aware of Part P but would still like to do this myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No need to have another RCD in line, they won't discriminate, seems a bit odd that the lighting circuit is on RCD though

Adam_151 said:
No need to have another RCD in line, they won't discriminate, seems a bit odd that the lighting circuit is on RCD though

perhaps he assumes it is protected by the rcd, may not be a split load cu.

incedntaly i have NOT got a split load cu

the cu is not a split load.

Would this be the same for my electric underfloor heating in the bathroom then...? i.e. I currently run the feed on its own breaker from the cu via an rcd - would there be no requirement for an seperate rcd if the cu was not a split load?

thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, no reason to have two RCDs of the same rating protecting the same thing.

RCDs with different ratings are sometimes used together to give varying degrees of protection to different things, like if I had a 100ma main switch, I might protect the socket near the back door with a 30ma rcd, as it needs 30ma protection, and everything else doesn't, though if I wanted to make sure these two RCDs would discriminate, I'd have to make sure the main switch RCD was time delayed - anyway, thats just a bit of background info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back