Mirror with Light - RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am planning on installing a mirror with light in my bathroom.

Under the 17th edition, do i now have to have an RCD to protect this?

Does the RCD have to be near it or can be at the CU?

The feed is part of the lights main ring at 6A on the CU.

The feed is from an old light which was above a normal mirror.

Thank in advance.

Nav

Sponsored Links
If it's on the light circuit then the it has to have RCD protection. This could just mean replacing the exising MCB with an RCBO, depending on your CU.
Work in a bathroom is notifiable.

If it's on the light circuit then the it has to have RCD protection. This could just mean replacing the exising MCB with an RCBO, depending on your CU.
Work in a bathroom is notifiable.

Thanks for replying.

This is my CU
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134539

I dont think i can replace the MCB with RCBO.

does that mean in order to install the mirror i will also have to change the CU?

Well reading your other post it looks as though that is what you're going to have to do anyway. Just a pity it didn't get done before the new Regs came into force.

Sponsored Links
Well reading your other post it looks as though that is what you're going to have to do anyway. Just a pity it didn't get done before the new Regs came into force.

Yeah i should have got it replaced earlier.

anyways no worries i will just get the whole thing done together.

I spoke to my Building control and they state that i do not have to notify them of this work if i get a qualified electrician to do the job and he/she provides me with adequate certification.

Does this sound right?

I am with Hillingdon council and here is a document to prove this statement.(PDF)

http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/media/pdf/p/b/infosheet30.pdf

I spoke to my Building control and they state that i do not have to notify them of this work if i get a qualified electrician to do the job and he/she provides me with adequate certification.

Does this sound right?
http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/media/pdf/p/b/infosheet30.pdf[/QUOTE]

Sort of, the electrician will undertake the notification via his or hers part P scheme operator or notify directly with the council if they are not part P approved (same as if you were to do the notification).

Just to confirm that if your electrician is Part P registered with ELECSA then he should notify ELECSA of the works; ELECSA then notify Hillingdon Council and ELECSA send you a Certificate of Compliance. You wont hear anything direct from Hillingdon.

Your electrician should provide you with an Electrical Installation Certificate on completion of the works - there is no standard design but a recommended one within the BS7671:2008. It will be at least 3 pages long and full of figures that wont make any sense to you! Many electricians wont provide the certificate until they are paid - its a good way for electricians to try to ensure people pay them as the certificate has some value in these days of HIPS etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back