Backlit mirror in bathroom - RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a heated & LED backlit mirror in my bathroom.
Obviously the front is glass, but the back frame is metal.
It has an Earth connection, (so is not double isolated), and is connected to the lighting circuit (which runs in the loft space).

My CU is one of the old type with the rewirable plug-in fuse holders.

Should the mirror have an RCD between it and the lighting circuit?
If so what is the easiest / cheapest way to do it?
An inline RCD (do they exist?)
Or should I be looking to fit an RCD socket in the loft and fit a conventional plug onto the mirror?

What 'rating' of RCD is required? :confused:

Any help / guidance gratefully received! :)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I have a heated & LED backlit mirror in my bathroom.
Should the mirror have an RCD between it and the lighting circuit?
It would if being fitted today - subject to where the cable runs - but if it has been there for a few years you are not compelled to upgrade but you can if you wish.
If so what is the easiest / cheapest way to do it?
An inline RCD (do they exist?)
You can get Fused Connector Units which have an integral RCD and could be fitted in the loft.
Or should I be looking to fit an RCD socket in the loft and fit a conventional plug onto the mirror?
NO not a good idea to have a socket on the lighting circuit
What 'rating' of RCD is required?
30mA (milli-amps)

I am assuming the mirror IS on the lighting circuit.

Cheers.

Yeah, it is on the lighting circuit, and it is a no-contact infrared switch type to turn the backlights on or off, but I would just move more comfortable that if it's made of metal, has electrical connections in it, and the kids can touch it in the bathroom, I'll stick it on an RCD :)

Will have a hunt around for an RCD FCU then, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers, is that 'all-in-one' or do I need to get a seperate back box for it?

Also I came across another item, wondered if it would be suitable?
Item number: 260597793295 on the popular auction site (not sure if links are allowed, but if not mods can remove the link and just leave the number :) )

EDIT

I presume this is the Screwfix equivalent of what you posted?
83049 - Volex 13A 30mA RCD FCU

(Screwfix is easier for me to get items from)

Whilst I am adding this RCD in the loft would it be advisable to have the bathroom ceiling lihgt running through it too?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cheers, is that 'all-in-one' or do I need to get a seperate back box for it?
You will need a back box.
Also I came across another item, wondered if it would be suitable?
It would work alright but I would prefer one which was permanently affixed.
I presume this is the Screwfix equivalent of what you posted
Yes.
Whilst I am adding this RCD in the loft would it be advisable to have the bathroom ceiling lihgt running through it too?
Not really - or rather I suppose it would (if you see the difference) but it may lead to problems depending on the order of the upstairs lights on the circuit. A fault in the mirror would lead to the bathroom light (and perhaps ALL the upstairs lights) being disconnected leaving you in darkness which would be more dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back