Bathroom Lights,Heated mirror and Extractor fan ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of turning my old Bathroom into an En-suite.The House was rewired just after the new colour code came out and has only a existing light in there at the moment

I want to install Extractor fan/light in the shower cubical ,Heated Mirror with built-in shaver socket and 2 down lights

should i

1)Run everything of the existing upstairs lighting Circuit
2)Run a separate feed of the CU for Mirror only
3)Run a seperate feed of the CU for Mirror And Fan
4)Run a seperate feed of the CU for everything and remove the existing wiring for the bathroom light

Its every easy to run a new feed if necessary as the CU is right below the old bathroom

thanks

Sponsored Links
Even though the installation is newish with regards to colours, that does not mean that it was installed safely. So I would make sure that circuits were safe for continued service and additions/alteration can be made.
As the room is a bathroom are the existing circuits within the room 30mA RCD protected? As they need to be!
Depending on the zones were the proposed work is going to be installed, it may also require building control notification.
With regards to power source, it is possible to have all the new appliances providing the circuit is not overloaded.
Any new circuit would again require building control notification.
For matter of a safety and compliance, it is important the the correct inspections and testing procedures are use prior to commissioning and these are documented on the appropriate forms/schedules/certificates.
As it would seem be your questions, this is not your field of expertise and it would be advisable to get a competent electrician to perform these tasks for you.

As the room is a bathroom are the existing circuits within the room 30mA RCD protected? As they need to be!

Im not sure if i was clear ,the only existing circuit is the original bathroom light which is part of the upstairs light circuit protected by a 6A MCB.

So from your saying apart from i should get a pro in ,everything should be off the RCD side of the CU, So option 4 on my list

Bathroom electrics require 30mA RCD protection, so anything new would require that.
Option 4 is not the only option, you could install a RCBO on the existing circuit or even an RCD protected fused spur.

Sponsored Links
Bathroom electrics require 30mA RCD protection, so anything new would require that.
Option 4 is not the only option, you could install a RCBO on the existing circuit or even an RCD protected fused spur.

Ive got a 14 way MEM split load CU with a 80A 30mA RCD with plenty of spare circuits so ill use one of them

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back