Bathroom Light and Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom light & extractor fan are connected together, there is a time delay and the fan stays on for 10 mins after I've switched the light off using the pull cord switch.

I also have an LED mirror in the bathroom which is working ok. This is switched on/off by swiping your hand below a sensor on the mirror

The bathroom light and extractor fan have suddenly stopped working, so i checked the fuse box but everything is in order and nothing has tripped.

Can someone assist me in trying to diagnose the problem please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's not a lot to go on there. What make / model is the fan & light?

From the information you give, there could be lots of reasons, for example:

There may be a fuse elsewhere such as in an FCU somewhere, perhaps in the loft.
If they operate at 12v SELV then there may be a transformer that has failed or tripped
There could be a loose connection
The bathroom light switch may have failed

The only way to find out is to test the circuit through from source bit by bit.

Sponsored Links
I assume the light is part of the a lighting circuit that either supplies the whole house or individual floors?
Are all other lights in house working?
If the light and fan has failed, the most likely fault, is loose connection, this could be neutral or live.
So check firstly at light fitting for loose connection, isolate circuit prior to removing covers. It could be that connections are made within loft, ideally for further investigations a two probe approved voltage indicator and continuity tester would be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back