Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a wall mounted extractor fan in bathroom, the bathroom has a flat roof so was wondering if i can wire the fan to anywhere other than the bathroom light fitting, ie the light fitting for the room below, if so i take it i won't be able to use a timed fan due to timer run off light switch, would an auto fan be better or just a simple pull cord.

Sponsored Links
The fan needs to be added to the ceiling lighting circuit if you want the unit to work in tandem with the light on / off (and or a timer).

If you go via the downstairs lighting circuit you will have no choice but to have a stand alone fan. With the circuit being down stairs your need to isolate the fan for servicing and repair with a fused spur, so you have an on / off point.

If you want a fan with additional controls such as pull cord, sensor, sensor with overrun timer then that's a simple matter of choice.

If this work is part of a conversion with Council inspection they tend to insist on fans with over run and 'x' m cubed extraction rates.

As I'm sure you know, wet area work has requirements regarding IP ratings for fittings, zone conditions and notification.

If this work is part of a conversion with Council inspection they tend to insist on fans with over run and 'x' m cubed extraction rates.

They can 'tend to insist' all they like.
An over run timer is only required if the (bath) room does not have an opening window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back