live earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found on my ring main ciruit that the earth wires are live. I have been trying to illiminate the problem, but have found that my meter is buzzing between the main earth cable and the main neutral cable, is this ment to happen???

Sponsored Links
meter is buzzing?!

get a proper meter and get us real readings

it sounds like your main earth may be disconnected

Not to sure what kind of readings i should be looking for!

Because my ring main keeps tripping i am told that it is likely to be a faulty leg. I am then told to check each leg, one at a time to find the problem. What setting should i have my meter on and what reading should i be looking for??

sorry correcting my original answer
when your meter was buzzing was it in continuity mode?
if so then it is expected for this to happen between main earth and neutral

mutimeters are fairly complex equipment and you really need someone to show you what the different functions on it all do and how to use them

Sponsored Links
Is it ohms I should be testing for?? Im told that each leg should be about 1 ohm, and anything above 4/5 is likely to be the leg with the problem...
That sound right???!!!!

depends where you are metering. sorry if i appear vague, its just that you can say any reading you like, but it depends on WHAT you are checking as to its reading

And when you say "my ring main keeps tripping", what do you mean? Is it the circuit breaker for the ring, or the RCD?

Does it happen when everything is unplugged from the ring?

Had you done any electrical work just before this started happening?

Bought any new appliances, or started using one you've not used for a while?

Done ANY drilling/screwing/nailing anywhere?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back