Living Room Chimney + Back Boiler removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to evaluate the cost and feasibility of removing the gas fire and back boiler that's situated in the living room and putting a combi in the kitchen.
The combi bit itself I'm not worried about however, almost all of the threads I've read on this subject ask questions about replacing the fire in the living room with another type of fire.

I on the other hand, would like the fire totally removed (I want to mount a TV in a lowly position on the chimney breast) and fill in the gap where the fire was, or to make it into a nice recess for media or for some form of ornament to sit (no interest in any fire what so ever!).

Is this possible? I'm concerned about what's required from a health and safety point of view. And I can't seem to find a definitive answer (as I need to factor in this work/cost with the combi work)
I believe I saw one where they had blocked up the chimney and kept one air brick right in the middle of the wall - that's certainly not a visually appealing method I would be happy with.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you post a photo of the c/breast & roughly outline where the recess or recesses will be it would help.

The flue leading from the opening must be swept, and ventilated top at the stack & bottom in the living room.

Removing the appliance is a simple job for a Gas Safe plumber. Do it and the COMBI in one go.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back