Load bearing question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Looking for any advice would be great.

I live in a 1960's mid terraced house and plan a little DIY to the kitchen. I have removed most f the plasterboard and had a good look. There is 1 wall causing me a headache. I will try to explain.

House from wall to wall is 18ft. Beams are 8x2 spaced 18" apart. Beams that I see are all one piece spanning the full distance.

The wall in question comes into the kitchen from the backdoor about 4 ft then stops, it does not continue on anywhere and connect. There seems to be three ceiling joists sitting on it but the rest if the joists in the kitchen have no support the full 18ft. Can this be load bearing? There is no wall directly above and in the loft the ceiling has the joists running the whole span into brick. Phew all done.

Any advice welcome and if any more info required I will do my best to give it to you, I am good with cars not building so if I can help there please ask!

Sponsored Links
When you say beams in the earlier part of your post, you do mean ceiling/floor joist don't you.

It does sound like the wall in question is not a structural wall, but if you have overlapping joist bridged across it, then this would need to be made structurally sound, might be as easy as coach bolting, but might require extra bracing up. If they are continuous/unbroken, then there is a good chance that you have no issues regarding compromising the structure.
If you have major doubts, I would always recommend contacting a structural engineer for their informed views.

House from wall to wall is 18ft. Beams are 8x2 spaced 18" apart. Beams that I see are all one piece spanning the full distance.

Are you sure? That seems a very long span for 8x2s at 18" centres, unless I've misunderstood?
13 - 14 ft is usually about the maximum for those joists and spacing.

Sponsored Links
Definitely 18ft. 8x2 spaced 18inches. Every house in the area of the same size is the same. I can't see why a brick wall only supports 3 joists. I think I will contact the council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back