Loadbearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
just a bit of advice please.
i purchesed a house in 2011 and a wall had been removed that was dividing the kitchen from the diningroom and was turned into an arch the opening is 7ft there is a steel there i believe this was done over 20 yrs+ ago but i want to sell the property now and our buyers solicitor wants building reg certificate that we dont have or ever received. do i need to provide this and how would or can i get around this problem that i have now got.

regards

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sounds a little unreasonable to me.

If the job was done 20+ years ago then even the L.A. Building Control wouldn't have a record for that any more.

Are they trying to get a small bargaining chip to reduce the price a little?

Tell them to stop being so stupid and if it was going to fall down it would have by now. If they are still muppets about it just get an indemnity insurance (about £50-£100). Don't speak to the Local Authority about it though as you will not be able to get the indemnity insurance if you have discussed it with them.

You wont even get it regularised from that long ago - and you should reply to this effect to the Solicitor - surely he would now this?

There has to be some common sense. If the thing is still up, then it can be presumed to be OK. Invite any buyers surveyor to specifically comment on whether there is any structural movement or not.

Otherwise, yes just get the poxy insurance when you sell, and don't worry about it

Sponsored Links
now there is another problem he wants a fensa certificate for windows that was put in in 1997 yes they are upvc external beading and bloody old.
we have told him that it was before the regs come in to legalization.
should i get an imdemnety insurence just to shut him up.
the wall situation is now sorted with my solicitor. and now he is on another one he reckons he is in the building trade well he should bloody know about it then.

thanks lads for all your comments ...... :confused:

You just say that the windows were installed before April 2002.

You therefore can't lawfully get a FENSA cert for them, nor can you get the council to regularise them, nor can any indemnity insurance be obtained for them. Again, tell him he should know all of this

hi woody is there any way that i can find out when these windows was manufactured there is a marking on them and is 8000 b 1.10.0 is this the manufacture year.
ty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back