local shop take away...

sorry not just tescos. Yes tim i agree its a bit of a spiral, however look at the profits they make and how much they force the price of the products down. Because they have such a big influence on the market and the prices they can do pretty much what they want. People will make a choice and many will chose due to the cost, but many will just blindly carry on without realising or even think about how much damage is being done.

Sponsored Links
True but I believe the only way they have got so big compared to the others is because they get more custom due to price, therefore the consumer must drive that mechanism.

So the question is it through blind ignorance or greed that shoppers buy from where they do?

Jack Cohen (founder) used to say "Pile it high and sell it cheap." I used to know someone who had worked for a supplier who told me he was a very slow payer, and proud of it.

the business model may have moved on a little bit since then.

Sponsored Links
i think its a combination of both. I thinks some people will by purely on price, regardless of quality. That is completley understandable due to there financial situation. Some however will buy purely out of habit or because they know no better, and when presented with alternatives would be prepared to spend the few pence extra. Supermarkets only operate for one reason and thats profit, so they really dont care. The bigger they are the more their ability to squeeze suppliers.

Tesco have analysed the buying public and have something for (almost) everyone.

you want cheap factory eggs? they sell them
you want organic free range? they sell them.

the founder's daughter, Shirley Porter, was an out-and-out crook.

yeah but what do they push more of and steer people towards?

yeah but what do they push more of and steer people towards?
Both. Cheap eggs at 5p per 2 doz, for people on the breadline. And free range organic eggs at £5 each, for people who care about what they eat, and care where their food comes from.

I hate to keep banging on about the co-operative, but they are banning the sale of cheap factory eggs. And their elmwood chickens (all stores stock them) are reared in good conditions above what the RSPCA recommends etc.

anywhere local if i can, if not i try and use smaller retailers on the net.

no i dont gcol, and i dont honestly know who does and doesnt treat them fairly. If i did i would do what i could to avaoid them. I dont buy nike, or macdonalds!

You cant change everything, but it does wind me up that a large company such as this portrays itself in such a way, when it is causing such damage. Thats why i always support small businesses as much as possible. After watching their reaction and other supermarkets reactions on Hughs chicken run last night, it really only affirms my feelings. We have a large tescos 1/2 a mile down the road from us. We dont use it. In the opposite direction is the high street. There is no fishmongers (its a coastal town with a port) only 1 butchers which has just opened in the last year, no green grocer etc etc etc. Its ripped the heart out of the town.

A few miles down the road they have opened up one of their express shops. It was done in a listed building. Despite planning restrictions they ripped the front of the art deco building out and still have not re-instated it as they are supposed to have done. Basically they dont give a toss and they will do whatever they can to make money, regardless of the affect on local communities, producers and the animals. I dont feel comfertable with that, others may do and thats up to them, but they dont get my custom.

Say Tesco or any other supermarket have a few (or maybe a lot) of products that are produced in a less than favourable fashion. Would it not also be likely that they have products for sale that are produced favourably? Am I to avoid the shop just because of a few suppliers being exploited? How am I to know which products are produced favourably? For all I know, I might not be buying these products. I'm happy getting my shopping delivered from Tescos - the quality is good and the price is low. I won't be moving brand loyalty for a few exploited farmers. (Hell, I'm exploited at work!) Maybe if products had a red sticker on them saying "we actively exploit Vietnamese farmers" then I might avoid them. Until each product is identified to me I shall not alter my shopping habits.

Sponsored Links