locating any underground pipes before starting work on proje

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to concrete and tarmac a large area next to my property that I own. There used to be a house on this property some 30 years ago but that has long gone. When I bought it I got a letter from national grid to say there were no electric cables or gas pipes that they were aware of on this land however how do I find out if there are any sewage or water pipes? I don't want to start excavating and then break into the sewage or water system!

Sponsored Links
You can contact your water company, they may charge you for looking (like £10 or something) but this is not gauratneed to be right either.

Digging below ground always carries risks, irrespective of information gleaned from utilities companies and diligent surveyors.

When using a machine look for tell tale signs like soil colour change for instance.

Dig slowly and carefully keeping a keen eye on the front bucket particularly for any abnormal pulls.

Always make sure that water stop cocks are in working order and not seized.

Try and map out any pipe runs which may cross the ground using contractors spray paint, though this becomes rather blurred once the machine is in action.

Sponsored Links
If you are not doing down lower then 400mm, then we would not bother although if you can divine then you should be able to pick up any thing there. If you can not divine then hire a CAT scanner for a day. About £90.00 for a day.
oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back