building pipe to connect guttering downpipe to soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect the bottom of a drain pipe to a soakaway. There's around 5 metres of low quality patchy tarmac/concrete between the pipe and the soakaway location. This is used to park cars on, so the pipe needs to be sturdy.

Does this class as normal sewerage, and I need to encase pipes in concrete deep underground? What I'd like to do is fit a nice looking grid/grate at the bottom of the drain pipe, then fit a cast iron pipe 20 cm under the ground, capped off with replacement tarmac / concrete. My reason for doing this is to keep the pipe as high as possible so that the soakaway doesn't need to be 2M under the ground.

Do I also need to fit rodding eyes, or will a removable grate at the start suffice (even though it'd be near a wall, and a pain to rod?)

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Encase it in concrete if its less than 1m below ground and in a area with vehicles.

i take it its only rain water connected to the down pipe!!
what was the soakaway origionaly desighned for!!

Yes, rain water from a 2m x 4m roof. The soakaway doesn't exist yet, and will be a 1.2 metre cubed in size.

I'd like to use something like this, but with out the grates on the top:

27.6.07_(6)_gulley.jpg

If I encase a plastic pipe in concrete, using a 75mm plastic pipe, as per below, then can that encasement be 5cm below ground level:

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
I'd like to use something like this, but without the grates on the top:
Thats just what I was thinking when I read your first post to save digging a huge trench but did'nt reply as I'm unaware of where you'd get a blanking cover off the shelf to suit! :(

Thats just what I was thinking when I read your first post to save digging a huge trench but did'nt reply as I'm unaware of where you'd get a blanking cover off the shelf to suit!

The problem with it is that the tarmac drive was laid over a number of years, in sections that vary slightly in height (+/- 1cm kind of stuff), so I could never really achieve a neat/flush finish, and therefore I'd still like to bury them slightly below the surface.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back