Locating tilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our shower is currently leaking into our kitchen. The loss assessor from the insurance company has identified tiles that have become unstuck from the wall, poor and cracked grouting and badly applied sealant as the problems.

He recommended an over-haul of the existing tiling rather than replacement. This has to work first time as once done the insurance company are going to repair the ceiling in the kitchen which will be a major job.

Normally I might have a go at DIY but in this case I think an experienced tiler is needed. However, I am finding it very difficult finding anyone willing to do this work. Some of the tilers I have found simply do not return my calls.

The normal search engines (yell, upmystreet, Thompson) are next to useless as they do not list tilers as a separate category. Can anyone point me to a trade organisation or online listing that would give me the details of tilers in my area? We live in Richmond in Surrey.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You live in one of the most expensive parts of the country and you are quibbling about a few tiles?

Pull the whole lot out (shower and all) and do the job properly. If you don't - you'll end up right back where you started.

Why don't you push the insurance company into replacing the floor under the shower? If it's chipboard it will turn into weetabix.

Then they can put it all back together for you.

OK, but how do I find a tiler? (which was my original question)

You live in one of the most expensive parts of the country and you are quibbling about a few tiles?
I do live in the most expensive part of the country which is why I need to quibble over a few tiles - read huge mortgage, rising interest rates and almost zero cash. If I had the confidence I would do it myself!

Pull the whole lot out (shower and all) and do the job properly. If you don't - you'll end up right back where you started.
The tiles are decorative and used throughout the large bathroom. They are also old style imperial size 6" tiles, cream coloured and not made any more. So to avoid the bathroom looking odd I would need to replace all the tiles in the bathroom - which we currently cannot afford. I need someone who can renovate the current tiling. It is up to them whether they pull the whole shower out or not. If they do then I imagine they will damage the tiling which I cannot afford.

Why don't you push the insurance company into replacing the floor under the shower? If it's chipboard it will turn into weetabix.
The floor is fine. It is large pine floorboards. No chipboard or MDF thank goodness.

Then they can put it all back together for you.
The insurance company refuse to do anything in the bathroom at all. They say the failure of the shower is not a "buildings policy" matter. However they are prepared to repair the ceiling in the kitchen which was damaged by water from the shower.

So - anyone know how I can find a tiler?

Sponsored Links
You're going to struggle finding a tiler to take on a small job like that. If they do not answer the phone don't leave a message, keep trying at different times. Don't just make one call and then leave it.
If you're lucky enough to find a tiler that'll do it, you'll probably have to wait a while before he can do it.
If you get someone to do it, be prepared to pay a fair amount to make such a small job worth while doing.
I think you'd have better luck with a good handyman that does tiling.
Is there no water damage to the wall? Is it plaster or plasterboard?

It's all hassle and no guarantees it'll get fixed.

I'd keep pushing the insurance people. Tell them that the wood substrate has been soaked and has caused swelling and shrinkage that will make a simple repair a waste of time. Tell them that the plaster has also been soaked and will shrink and crack.
If there is any movement the whole problem will recur.

Pity you don't live in Hull or Doncaster - they are claiming for anything and everything and seem to be getting it.

By the sound of your original post it seems to be an old problem that's been bodged and patched in the past.

Some things can't be fixed with 'sticking plaster' - and I'd say that this was one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back