stainless steel tiles fitting and grouting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first time poster here and also a complete novice to diy.Ok so i recently purchased an apartment and i want to use stainless steel wall tiles in my kitchen.After visiting Homebase i decided on these
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...y?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=1637898
After speaking to a helper there he said a few things can any tilers or people have fitted these confirm this.
1)He said although they sell these tiles they dont sell the grout as normal grout scratches these to pieces
2)The only place to get the grout is Henkels in the USA anyone had any dealings with this company or know anyone who sells the grout in the uk
3)Even if i got this special grout only certain tilers will come and fit these.
Any Tilers or people who have fitted these or similar stainless steel tiles could post any useful information below.Especially if you could recommend a tiler in the nottingham area willing to fit these.

Sponsored Links
I have never fitted them but if they truly are stainless steel, then both cement powder adhesive (which you must use on tiles that size) & conventional grout will scratch them; never heard of Henkels USA.

Can you confirm the size; Homebase website says 64 x 20 CM is that right? If so, do you know what they weigh in at per/sqm? I would be very concerned about the weight & what tile base you have as there are quiet low restrictions with plaster & even tile backer board may not be enough if they are really heavy! If the weight can be supported by your wall, a good tiler being very careful will probably be able to lay them up without the cement adhesive scratching the tiles; I would say it is possible but even if you can find someone local prepared to take it on, they would charge you a premium. One option might be silicone to grout them rather than conventional grout or the probably very expensive UAS stuff but I can only see that working & looking good on thin, 2mm tile gaps & then the tiler would need to be an expert with a silicone gun; you could probably use silicone to stick them on as well but it would be a slow process compared to conventional tiling.

You need to be very careful with you choice of tiler or you could end up with a load of stainless steel scrap - stuck to the wall! Personally I’d make my life a lot easier & pick a ceramic, porcelain or glass tile that gives the same/similar effect if you can find one.

The finish on the biscuit will be polished,but it's a ceramic tile so a cement based addy will be ok...

As for grout just use an "unsanded grout" max spacing 3mm....

You can also use masking tape around the joints if needed....but make sure the adhesive on the masking tape doesn't mark/stain the tile...

The finish on the biscuit will be polished,but it's a ceramic tile so a cement based addy will be ok
Never used them & should have read the website info in more detail :rolleyes: . Although they are branded as polished “stainless Steel” tiles they are not stainless steel at all but merely a SS effect ceramic tile as tictic says; follow his advice. [/b]

Sponsored Links
one word of warning - they may look nice.....for about 5 minutes. they are a pig to clean, and a pig to keep clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back