Dulux Plaster sealer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Quick question is this Dulux Plaster sealer ok to tile on after applying to some touched up plaster?:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=347549

I searched for tile primer but all I could see was prep stuff for people who want to tile over tiles (!?).

It seems ok and is not the dreaded PVA as far as I know, but I notice it doesnt mention tiles anywhere, just painting.

If it makes a difference, this is the adhesive I am going to use (Unibond w/proof Adhesive):
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=320975

I hear that these pre-mixed adhesives already contain a certain amount of primer?

Any advice much appreciated while I let the plaster layer dry.

Sponsored Links
S0d it, it's not worth the risk, I'll get this instead since is explicitly states it's for tiling:

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/...t/UniBond-Plaster-Primer-Translucent-10137350

Sorry! not sure how to delete threads
Nooo I wouldn’t do that; I suspect it’s at least an acrylic primer rather than standard PVA but don’t know without looking at the spec sheet. With the reputation the brand has for their tiling products, I don’t know any pro that would use anything from their stable including adhesive.

I can give yon all the advice you want about tiling but will certainly need a lot more info.

Hi Richard,

Bascially I stripped the paint off but some plaster came away in places too so I've touched it up where required.
Now I am looking to tile on it, but want to seal/primer it first as I hear tile adhesives and plasters dont get on too well!

The wall is a bathroom wall, but not one which is likely to see much water. Tiles are 20x30cm and its plaster on plasterboard.

How can the second product be worse than the first since it's described for my purpose? or do you recommend something else entirely?

(Edit: I have used unibond tile adhesive before with no problems, I know it doesnt get much love on here but I've never had any problems.)

Sponsored Links
Bascially I stripped the paint off but some plaster came away in places too so I've touched it up where required.
What did you strip the paint off with? What did you touch it up with? Tap the rest of the plaster; are there any spots that sound hollow at all? Is the wall construction plasterboard over stud or plaster over blockwork?
Now I am looking to tile on it, but want to seal/primer it first as I hear tile adhesives and plasters dont get on too well!
That depends on the type of adhesive being used; tub ready mix is OK but you must prime bare plaster or plasterboard when using powder cement adhesive to avoid a reaction between the cement & gypsum in the plaster. With tiles much over 250mm x 250mm you should be switching to powder adhesive or setting time will be extended & in some cases the adhesive never sets & they usually all have to come down. What size/weight are your new tiles? Gypsum plaster will only support a maximum of 20 kg/sqm including >4 kg/sqm for adhesive & grout so if the tiles your thinking of using weigh in at more than 18kg/sqm you have a problem.
The wall is a bathroom wall, but not one which is likely to see much water.
OK
How can the second product be worse than the first since it's described for my purpose? or do you recommend something else entirely?
The first product (Dulux primer) is a paint primer not a tile primer, like any paint it’s unsuitable for priming a tile base & will at least need additional prep work & sometimes will have to be stripped off; which youve already done! Additionally, you should only ever use a primer if one is recommended by your chosen adhesive manufacturer; in many cases it’s not necessary & in some will be a positive hindrance. As for the second product, many manufacturers make all sorts of claims but, unfortunately, it seems not all products equal or their claims acurate; do a search of this forum & any of the other tiler’s forums for pro tilers opinions on this particular one! ;)

It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap & I would advise you source your tiling materials from your local trade tiling outlet not the DIY sheds. I would also advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. Tiling isn’t rocket science but there are still many things that can catch you out, particularly if you intend tiling a suspended timber floor.

Thanks for your time and replies Richard, much appreciated.

Apologies, I did some editing to my last post while you must have been writing your last reply! although you did kind of cover those bits off anyway.

So ultimately I probably don't need to prime if I use the pre-mixed adhesive, although I need to decide if I want to go ahead with the pre-mixed on the basis my tiles are boderline too heavy.

I have used unibond tile adhesive before with no problems, I know it doesn’t get much love on here but I've never had any problems.
The powder stuff is better than the tub mix but conditions have to be spot on. I wouldn’t push my luck with either & a search on any of the tiling forums will throw up plenty of folks who subsequently wished they hadn’t & posting for advice from the pro’s.

So ultimately I probably don't need to prime if I use the pre-mixed adhesive,
Not always & it depends on the adhesive manufacturer but sometimes it is necessary & each case is different. Yes when using powder adhesive over gypsum & you need a bonding primer if the plaster has been over polished.

although I need to decide if I want to go ahead with the pre-mixed on the basis my tiles are boderline too heavy.
The size limit on using pre-mix is not primarily about the tile weight although this is a factor. Pre-mix cures by evaporation & the only way moisture can evaporate is through the grout lines, with large format tiles, the adhesive in the centre of the tile won’t set & this is what causes the problem. Powder adhesive is chemical cure so the problem doesn’t exist but it’s no more difficult to use that tub mix. The weight limit I gave is for plaster skim so if the tiles exceed this you should either pick smaller tiles or change the tile base for one more suitable.

My mum had tiling done in her new shower about a year ago, early on you could see the tiles were changing colour after the shower was being used and now the tiles are patchy under the surface. What would make this happen? it all seems to happen below the border mosaics, has the builder not used waterproof grout or something?
Water was obviously getting behind the tiles, does it still happen? How quickly after tiling did she use the shower, new tiles in a wet area should be left for 2 weeks before using! It could be water getting through cracks in the grout or permeating the grout itself; most adhesive & grout is waterproof but, apart from expensive epoxy products, it’s only “waterproof” in the sense it won’t (shouldn’t) disintegrate when wet, it’s not impervious to water. This is why it’s important the tile base is truly waterproof if regular wetting of the tiles is going to occur. If she has a concealed mixer valve or pipe work, it could a leak from either of those, difficult to say without seeing it or knowing what materials were used. This is why quality tiling materials are so important if you want it to last; you generally only get what you pay for with this stuff.

I have offered to pull the offending tiles out and re-do those arease for her but not sure what caused it in the first place.
If your going to do that (& I’ve done plenty), be prepared for the worst with what you may find behind. If it’s standard plasterboard behind & it wasn’t tanked, it’s probably going to be in one hell of a mess & need replacing. If you leave “as is”, it will most likely fail eventually but at least be usable in the meantime; however, depending on the wall construction, this may cause even more damage.

Sorry but you didn’t answer my question about how you stripped the paint off or if the walls are plaster board stud or plaster over block work.

Haha sorry, I deleted the last post as I realised I was going off on a tile related tangent away from the original thread and wasn't sure of forum rules.

With regards to the paint stripping it was just with a scraper and slightly damp sponge, it came off worryingly easily! :confused:

Thanks again for the comprehensive and additional advice Richard.

Haha sorry, I deleted the last post as I realised I was going off on a tile related tangent away from the original thread and wasn't sure of forum rules.
OK not a problem but you can hardly hijack your own thread :LOL: ; at least you got some interim answers.

With regards to the paint stripping it was just with a scraper and slightly damp sponge, it came off worryingly easily! :confused:
Well that’s good; in inexperienced, hands a steamer can seriously damage plaster skim & if you used paint striper, tiling over would have been a nightmare.

Thanks again for the comprehensive and additional advice Richard.
Any time come back if you need more on either topic. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back