What grout to buy for bathroom renovation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are renovating our family bathroom and the tiler is currently fitting tiles on both floor and walls. I now need to buy the grout for the tiler. Our tile joints are 2-3mm. He said to just go to Topps Tiles and buy their grouting as it is good. But I wanted to see if that's actually good advice and whether we can buy something better. We spent a lot of money renovating the bathroom and it will be pitty to end up having problems due to cheap grouting. I have started to research online but it will good if you can recommend any products that you think they are good (and why) and where to get them.

I read online that epoxy grout is a better choice for showers, kitchen, bathrooms, and other damp areas (albeit more expensive) because it is stain resistant and requires no sealing, unlike cement-based grout. Although I don't seem to find much information as to whether grout products are epoxy based or cement based. Any ideas how to know?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'd agree with your tiler, Topps grout is pretty good.

I haven't used epoxy grout but I understand it's a pig to use and clean off tiles.

I have only used epoxy grout three times. In each case, I wanted a grout that would be resistant to oils from cooking.

Epoxy grout is typically sold in tubs which have the catalyst in a small bottle in the top of the tub.

As the poster above says, it is much more difficult to work with and if not applied properly, it is extremely difficult to remove any left over residue. If your tiler hasn't previously used them, then do not ask him to use them.

Personally, I stick with Mapei powder based grouts when tiling in most cases. I have never tried the Topps own brand.

You mention sealing- some natural tiles require sealing prior to grouting but the cement based grouts designed for wet areas should not require sealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back