location of meter

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if someone can help.

We're planning on having our consumer board relocated from a ground floor WC to under the stairs but will leave the meter in the WC, although I would like it moved from a wall adjacent to the WC to the wall that the WC is situated on.

Theres not an awful lot of space on the wall and the meter would be located close to the floor (possibly 12 inches off the floor) and my plan is to have a concealed cistern fitted hard against thew opposite corner from the meter and once its all boxed in, the meter would effectively be separated by marine ply or similar.

Would this be a safe installation? Hopefully, once I get round to getting the electrician to look at it, he will provide the answers, but if this is considered unsafe, I'll need to have a rethink

cheers

Sponsored Links
Will the meter, cutout and switchfuse remain accesible for reading, inspection, maintenence and replacement?

And given that they are the only ones allowed to move it, you have no choice but to speak to them first.

Could you have it moved to outside?

How much have you budgeted for the cost of the move?

Sponsored Links
With regard to the height, I guessed at 12 inches, it would be the same height as it currently is.

I know the power company are the only ones allows to touch it and had a quote from them to move it completely, but this ran into the 100's so I wanted to avoid such a large cost given I will be paying a spark to do the main body of the work - had hoped once the floorboard were removed we could simply "relocate" the backing board into the new location! not quite within the regulations I know ;)

it would be accessible by way of a door of some description to the cupboard/enclosure I would form - are there any restrictions on how much space must be left round the meter and main fuse?

"relocate" the backing board

Bang.jpg

:eek:

I know the power company are the only ones allows to touch it and had a quote from them to move it completely, but this ran into the 100's
Which is why I asked what you'd budgeted for...

so I wanted to avoid such a large cost
The only way to avoid it is to leave the meter where it is.

had hoped once the floorboard were removed we could simply "relocate" the backing board into the new location!
No chance.

I will be paying a spark to do the main body of the work - had hoped once the floorboard were removed we could simply "relocate" the backing board into the new location!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I should try and find a spark who will do this first. I would not touch it with a long and very well insulated bargepole.. try in your local Polish supermarket///

I have a another customer... might get a pic when I go back, I believe the have-a-go hero DIYer "responsible" for the house did a DIY external meter box, possibly by breaking a big hole in the wall and simply moving the live cutout & meter through the hole and outside. It certainally ain't no leccy board job thats for sure.

I'll take the responses as negative then :oops:

I'll stop being a tight ba*t@rd and get it done right by the electrical board and then the spark can relocate the consumer board.

However, is there any issue in having it located so close to the WC cistern, albeit they will be divided by some form of partition/cupboard side

If the DNO are relocating the meter, maybe at a standard charge, is it worth considering installing it in an external meter cabinet for ease of access in the future?

When we had one moved some years back, as part of the deal they gave us a 'free' meter cabinet to install, then moved the cutout after we had installed the cabinet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back