Lockable Fan Switch - purpose of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vent Axia inline fan which is to be installed in the loft space over the bathroom.

I've noticed some of the 10A fan switches are lockable in the off position. I was wondering what the purpose is of this; is it a useful feature?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It’s just so when working on the fan, out of sight of the isolator you can lock it off knowing that someone else can’t turn it back on

A lot of people dont realise MK fcus are lockable too, if you take the fuse out theres a hole for a padlock, for proper safe isolation

A lot of people dont realise MK fcus are lockable too, if you take the fuse out theres a hole for a padlock, for proper safe isolation
Pretty safe isolation, perhaps, but not 'proper isolation' in the eyes of BS7671 if it's a TT installation, since the neutral remains connected :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

I know the MK fan switches work upside down which increases the chance of getting a shock...

Pretty safe isolation, perhaps, but not 'proper isolation' in the eyes of BS7671 if it's a TT installation, since the neutral remains connected :)
Even on a TN installation I would be wary of trusting final circuit neutrals. Lots of connections to crappy terminals in boxes designed such that the act of fitting the faceplate inevitablly puts strains on the connections.

Though if it's a switched FCU I guess the combination of the switch (double pole but not lockable) and the fuse (lockable but only single pole) is probablly safe enough.

Kind Regards, John
Yes well spotted, id guess the padlock is also likely to knock the switch on as well

When the Fan isolaters first came out Mk included the padlock with it, i still have a few

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back