Locking mechanism broken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to admit from the beginning that I know nothing about door locks so please bear with me. On a 5 year old house we have Vectis externally locked doors. The sort that you pull the handle up before you turn the key to lock them. But the locking action has become very stiff and noisy lately and so I decided to squirt a bit of oil in the lock mechanism and the "slidy" bits that run full length of the door.

Now I find that I can't open the door. The lock mechanism is working much better but when I push the handle down to open the door while it is retracting the locking protrusion it's not retracting enough the angled bit that goes in and out when you close the door.

I have Googled it but if I'm honest I think the lock mechanism (is it called a gearbox ?) is shot. And so my question is : how do I get the lock mechanism out of the wooden door ? Do I have to undo all the screws on the full length vertical plate on the engaging part of the door face ? And if so is it better to take the door off it's hinges to do that ?

Sorry to be so ignorant about such matters and my inept terminology but I would be grateful for ANY help.
Lock1.jpg
lock2.jpg
lock3.jpg
lock4.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can buy a new Vectis mechanism and swap the whole thing, but I would keep the original lever lock so your old keys work. I think you can download the installation instructions from ERA. You would probably need to take it off and dismantle it to trace the fault, so swapping it would be quicker.

BTW it is bad practice to oil a lock as it attracts dirt and grit. You can clean it with a soft rag and if necessary white spirit and a small paintbrush.

Thanks John D That is very helpful. You mentioned ERA. What is that please ? Apologies for my ignorance. If you ever want help to lamb a ewe or instructions on how to plough a field then I can help with that. Hope you understand now why I am so ignorant on such matters !

Google ERA VECTIS, it's the manufacturer and it's one of the simplistic gearboxes to change.

To be continued.........

Sponsored Links
All sorted now (I think !) Took the plate off the vertical surface of the door that interfaces with the door jam. Took the gearbox out and discovered that the rack was in 2 pieces ! So hasty trip to lock supplier and bought a new gearbox (£61.99 !!!). Now fitted and works O.K. except for when trying to lock the door when in the closed position. It works fine when the door is ajar and I think it is either the top or bottom peg that isn't engaging properly with the hole on the top (or bottom) of the door frame.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Door will need adjusting or your new gearbox will break too.
Google "Toe and heal a door"
Basically you need to take the beads out, Lift the door on the handle side and add some extra packers above the glass.

All sorted now. The top pin bolt cavity and upper hook cavity both needed adjusting. Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back