Locks for wooden front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have fitted a new hardwood front door on a Victorian house and want a centre door knob for aesthetic reasons. Other than maybe pulling the door closed with it, it is decorative only. We fitted a mortice deadlock and were planning to fit a Yale lock also.
But I've now realised this means that you could never leave the door 'on the latch' eg. While you are garden outside the front of the house or popping out for 5 minutes but there is still someone else at home but you don't want to ring the bell to get back in. If I leave unlocked, there is nothing to hold the door closed and it will just swing back open!
I cant fit another handle as well as a centre knob?! Any thoughts please? My only idea is a roller catch but this seems weird on a front door? And would it just blow open anyway?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your reply. That looks like a really good option to keep the door closed.
I'm being really fussy here but I dont actually want it to close all the time!! Eg. If unloading shopping from car, you'd just want the door open. I've probably worded my question wrong but I'm more wondering about what people do with their front doors if they have a centre door knob.....it seems I'd always need a key to get back in

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I cant fit another handle as well as a centre knob?! Any thoughts please? My only idea is a roller catch but this seems weird on a front door? And would it just blow open anyway?
Thanks

You can get combined mortice locks, with a latch operated by an lever handle.

Thanks so much for your reply. That looks like a really good option to keep the door closed.
I'm being really fussy here but I dont actually want it to close all the time!! Eg. If unloading shopping from car, you'd just want the door open. I've probably worded my question wrong but I'm more wondering about what people do with their front doors if they have a centre door knob.....it seems I'd always need a key to get back in

I use the snib if I am putting the bins out. I carry a key if I don't want random burglars wandering in.

I use the snib if I am putting the bins out. I carry a key if I don't want random burglars wandering in.

As suggested above, we have the combined mortice locks with built in latch and handle. The latch keeps the door shut, without locking it, you have to physically lock both of the doors from inside or outside, using a key. Process is one of lift the handle, then turn the key to actually lock the door with the mortice lock.

We are not that desperately security conscious, it is a very low crime area. We often leave the back door unlocked and even ajar over night. If I go out and she is due back soon, I often leave the door unlocked for her. I often leave tools out and workshop open too over night - the only thing is, there is only one way in (via the front) and the one way back out. Coming in would be very risky for a burglar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back