Lockshield gets warm first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a new boiler fitted before xmas and have been trying to track down an air lock in my central heating system for a couple of weeks now and today I shut all the rads off except the ones I thought had the problem (the older ones)...

Then when I turned the rads back on, i noticed the lockshield pipe got hot first - is this right or has the plumber somehow managed to connect the pipes the wrong way round?

I assumed the TRV would get hot first...

Cheers,

Lance

Sponsored Links
A lot of TRVS are Bi-directional. What makes you think you have an airlock?

when the heating starts from cold (after being off for at least 3hours) there is some banging in the pipes followed by glug noises going round the rest of the rads (stops after 60seconds or so).

I've bleed all the rads but only seem to get a little bit of air out at one time - leave it an hour and go back, get some more air...

also bleed the pump yesterday, but no air there.

pressure is not dropping on the boiler so dont think there is a leak.

Sponsored Links
Could be that the system is sludged up a bit and it is not air in the system but hydrogen. Next time you bleed a rad have a sniff and see if it smells eggy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back