Locksmith or DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

after some advice.

I've got a sliding back door, normal UPVC thing.

annoyingly, the lock has decided to break somewhere in that the key no longer turns. I can remove the key but cannot unlock nor open the door.

Anything I can do myself? or do I need a locksmith? I'm assuming I just need a new cylinder but I've got to get the old one out and unlock the door first - anyway I can do this myself? i.e. take out the key and drill somewhere?

I don't want to make matters worse/more expensive but if I can do it myself I would like to. I can't open the door to remove the cylinder so everything needs to be done with the door shut and locked.

Sponsored Links
PDH21.JPG

at work at the mo, but door handle as above and lock looks like below (although I can only see the barrel even with handles removed. With the door locked I of course cannot remove the retaining screw in the cylinder, I only have access to the key slot either side.

s-l1000.jpg

OK - it's a pretty straightforward fix for a locksmith but may be diy'able, it depends if it's a fault with the lock cylinder itself or the gearbox in the door.

If it's the cylinder you can try snapping the lock if you can get to both sides of the door (also check for any stars on the cylinder face and/or a horizontal key slot - see these and perhaps let the locksmith tackle it as they could indicate an anti-snap lock) - you'll need to take off the handles then wiglle the lock barrel with mole grips - it should break where the black lever and screwhole are, you can then use a screwdriver to turn the lever and unlock the door.

Sponsored Links
well locksmith has been and suggested the lock needs spares which aren't made anymore as the lock that's fitted in long since been made obsolete.

looking likely he'll be fitting us with internal locks on that door - not wanting the change the patio door just yet (was quoted £2,500) as we intend to extend that area anyway in the coming years so think for the time being a "this'll do" is going to have to suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back