Loctite 55 v PTFE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, having seen loads of recent threads on outside taps, rad valves etc........

Whats the weapon of choice?

personally after using PTFE for a long time, i wont leave home with 55! much much superior to PTFE with the obvious benefit of being able to 'back off' without leaking.

Never had a leak with the stuff, wind on and know that you will have a perfect joint.............

Just wondered what your thoughts are, and before you bring the cost thing into it, i dont think its an issue, I have had a large roll of the stuff for quite some time. The performance far out weighs the additional cost of PTFE IMHO

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid the cost thing is an issue. I lose about a roll of PTFE a week. Usually in someone's loft.

It's so cheap, I don't even bother looking for it. Different case with 55. Haven't tried it yet, but I can see its advantages.

loctite everytime. A roll lasts me at least 4/5 times longer than a roll of ptfe so dont see the cost thing as an issue. It never leaks even if it feels loose, you can back off, you can wind on only half of a rad tail so you've got no untidy tape hanging out the joint, its quikcer to use as you can just chuck it on any old how. Brilliant stuff.
a convert :)

definatley loctite 55, have used it for ages and have had no problems.
I saw one of their stalls an installer show, the rep made up an assembly of pipes, did the joints up HAND TIGHT and pumped it up to 10 bar and it held!! was quite impressed.

Sponsored Links
Been using it for over two years now ,as said before far superior to PTFE tape .I do carry ptfe but it hardly ever comes out of the van

Loctite 55 every time, far superior and also gas rated so you don't have to carry normal and gas PTFE around. Cost really isn't an issue, it's not exactly expensive stuff, about 4p a metre as opposed to about 2p a metre for normal PTFE, but you generally use less of it. Never had a leak with it since I converted about three years ago

hmm gonna try it. how many wraps around a rad valve thread? i do 14 with ptfe.. cheers

About 6-10, depending.
As with PTFE it can slide. I scrape my penknife's saw blade across the top of the threads and it seems to work.

I've made "washers" for things like tap connectors with it too.
Also wrapped it round those spiral screw-in plasterboard fixings which come loose. Works there too.

Watch out for imitators - Todays Tools do a ptfe band that's narrower but thicker than normal ptfe. Not very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back