Loft and single storey rear extention on bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Could do with some advice please.

I have decided to embark on a new project to add some additional space to my bungalow.

The property is a single storey, double pitched with a gable end on the side. It doesn't have any hips.

What I'm proposing is to add a dormer and a single storey rear extention in approx 6mtr in depth.

The dormer roof will span the full width of the rear of the property.
It'll be wooden construction with hanging tiles and a flat roof.

The rear single storey extention will also be spanned to the full width or the property. The trouble I'm having at the moment is whether it'll be possible to have a steep enough pitch for a roof to opt for a tiled one opposed to a flat one.

The only way I can think a pitch working is if it tied to the dormer just beneath the windows.
Buy I'm. Not entirely sure if that would be possible.

Whilst i do have some interest and have been involved in some renovation projects in the passed a I'm not convinced about tieing into the dormer.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
To be permitted development (and therefore not needing planning permission), your dormer front would need to be set back 20cm from the outer edge of the eaves tiles.

Your single-storey rear extension would need to have eaves no higher than the existing eaves - that may cause you headroom problems in the extension. Flat roof + lantern may be the better option, rather than having a pitched roof.

Your single-storey rear extension would need to have eaves no higher than the existing eaves - that may cause you headroom problems in the extension. Flat roof + lantern may be the better option, rather than having a pitched roof.
I've found that often a flatty won't be PD on a bungalow either because of the eaves issue.

Yes, thinking of it again, you're right.
Then if the single-story extension and dormer are physically linked, would probably then not be pd and would need planning.

Sponsored Links
I'm in the early stages of planning as yet so haven't had the expert advice of an architect so far.
My thoughts are that going through planning and paying the extra cost - provided it wouldn't be much more than 1k would be worth it if I get to have a tiled roof.

The extra cost would offset against savings of roof repairs in the long run and the longevity of a flat.
Also I personally find the tiled pitch a more pleasing look.

What would you thoughts be on this, structurally would this be possible and other than planning permission would it entail any major build alteration when compared to a flat?

At 6m out for the ground floor extension, you wouldn't get the top of the lean-to roof under the window cills of the dormer and retain the 15° pitch you would need for roof lights.
A better solution would be to have a gable roof for the ground floor extension, with ridge running at right-angles to the dormer. You would need to ensure the dormer windows come to either side of the ridge.

Thanks for your advice guys. Really appreciated. I'll keep you updated on the progress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back