what size for ceiling joist

I would believe it but I would still add a binder for anybody crawling around up there.

Sponsored Links
  • Ronnie............you're a life saver!...........all I want is a simple life, I guess the joists will be at 600mm centres to allow for the velux's (will that make a difference?). There won't be anyone crawling up there unless they are gonna strip off the tiles n underfelt!

I would believe it but I would still add a binder for anybody crawling around up there.

Me too.

Despite what the tables say, I don't believe that 4" joists over 4m won't sag a little as they dry out and then cycle through moist and dry phases. It's not all about the loading.

How wide is the extension? A 4x2 joist is going to cost you ~£8 per 4.8M length, versus £10 for a 6x2 (150mm) ~£11 for a 7x2 (175mm) or £13 for a 8x2 (200mm)

Why not sail a bit less close to the wind given that (presumably) you're going to want your BCO to sign this off, or I'd at least ask him to approve the span, 600mm spacing, and the binders you intend to use.

ETA - My copy of the span tables only has the 0-.25Kn column. Ronny - where do you get your calcs based on 0 Kn?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The extension will be 4m x 9m, yep don't want to take chances for the sake of a few pence!

How does 6x2 with binder then get BCO to approve sound then?

Yeah, if there is a chance that somebody will end up crawling around in the void then the point load will govern the design. Whether or not the full 0.9kN needs to be taken is debatable as it seems unlikely that the full load would be applied to one joist in this situation. However, 6x2s will still work without binders - I would be tempted to use them if it's likely people will end up in the void at some point.
Despite what the tables say...
Tables? As if I'd use tables :rolleyes:
...I don't believe that 4" joists over 4m won't sag a little as they dry out and then cycle through moist and dry phases. It's not all about the loading.
All timber joists / beams will creep over time - this applies to floors, roofs, you name it. Not allowing for a point load, the deflection would be around 7mm using C24 which is well within the limit of 0.003 x span for a 4m joist.
My copy of the span tables only has the 0-.25Kn column. Ronny - where do you get your calcs based on 0 Kn?
I did a calc - you won't find anything in the tables for a case where there is no imposed load - I just took the self weight of the joist and 0.20kN/m² for plasterboard, skim, and insulation. If we are taking a point load of 0.9 (assuming there is a chance of this happening) then this load case will govern regardless of joist spacing, and as said above, 50x150s will be ample.

Binders still won't be needed!

DIYedboy : are you doing it through building control? If so, a full plans BC submission or building on notice?

I am going the full plans to BcO route, the architect is finalising the regs plans and his SE is doing the 'calculations'. His regs plans don't specify ceiling joist size.......unless the SE has to add that part

I am going the full plans to BcO route, the architect is finalising the regs plans and his SE is doing the 'calculations'. His regs plans don't specify ceiling joist size.......unless the SE has to add that part

I think someone's "architect" needs a swift kick in his noggins. Why the hell wouldn't he size up the ceiling joists? Or if he was especially useless at least make a reference to the structural engineer's design. The plans wont get through Building Control without it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back