Loft Bedroom Insulation

Thanks for the replies.

I`ve tried to attach how I was planning on doing it, would that be acceptable?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
I am hanging my head in despair Shavey. Okay, to be fair, the assumption was that you were doing the roof, and we then find you're doing the walls, but the principles the same. You need the joists the same depth as the celotex - end off. You've got 72mm joists, or as it's a wall, the uprights, but you're using 100mm celotex, so you need 100mm of wood. As it's a wall, you don't need to use the ali tape, as you're not bothered with heat loss from one room to the next.

with that drawing and you using the word joists is this the floor joist you are refering too

No sorry, as pointed out I should have used uprights as apposed to joists....that`s why I`m here I suppose, in an attempt to learn/improve!
"as you're not bothered with heat loss from one room to the next" - The room is in the loft so I would be bothered about heat escaping the room as it would be escaping straight into a cold loft.
Ok I understand what your telling me now Doggit about the uprights etc, but would there be a major disadvantage to me doing it the way I proposed in the picture? As a layman, as far as I could tell it would be just as good as increasing the thickness of the uprights and insulating between the timber?

Sponsored Links
I think it's time I admitted defeat Shavey; I know you're wrong, but I don't think I can defeat your logic, and in a way, there is a certain left handed correctness to your solution. All I will say, is that your method is going to make you a hell of lot of hard work, but you might find it easier to notch the celotex on only one side of each piece. Best of luck.

I`m sorry you feel that way, I in no way am trying to wear you down, I`m simply a unexperienced DIY-er on a DIY forum looking for help.
I`ve decided not to "notch" the celotex now anyway, as you say, I think it`ll create so much unnecessary work. Instead I`m going to fit the celotex between the uprights and fill the gaps left between the celotex sheets with expanding foam and aluminium tape (or any off cuttings of celotex that`s left over).

For what it`s worth - thanks for your help.

I think you've hit a good solution Shavey, but whilst you'll use the foam to fill any gaps, if the filler piece are at the front, then you'd use the ali tape, and then use long plasterboard screws, but if the filler piece goes at the back of the wall, then I wouldn't really bother with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back