Loft boarding _HELP, and some considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is my intension to board the loft, and would appriciate a little direction.
As far as counter batons, i was thinking 2X2, is this enough - ALSO, since lost joists are not usually as strong as floor joists when is weight likely to become an issue?

Would it be better to use a stronger board, with no counter batons - OR batons and a lighter boarding - OR does it matter? This is going to be a space to store all the C£$P we don't want to sling out, NOT a loft conversion!

How far upto the edges, (towards the guttering, not the gable wall), do I board, is it ok to go the whole way or is there a ventilation issue?

ANY help on this topic gladly recevied -ANYTHING you think worth considering!!

Cheers in advance guys/girls.

Sponsored Links
Think carefully, before you board it over. This seems to have gone out of fashion now, because most people want really thick insulation up there.
If you have a pile of junk up there, you would probably be unable to install insulation as thick as is being recommended now.

How deep and thick are the existing "joist" roof timbers?

How thick is the existing insulation?

Is the roof of trussed rafter constructio (timbers in a sort of W shape, joined with gang-nailed metal plates rather than carpeters joints)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back