Boarding Loft with Caberfloor P5 18mm Chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to cross baton my loft with 4" x 2" timbers (to increase insulation) and then board with 18mm T&G moisture resistant 18mm chipboard.

I've just been reading the recommended installation instructions on the Caberfloor website ( http://www.norbord.com/documents/Caberboard_Brochure_2009.pdf) and it suggests that boards should be stagger laid perpendicular to the joists at 400mm centres.

Although I will need to cut the 2.4m lengths in half to fit them in the car, the width of the loft space I am boarding is only 2.4m in any event - would it be a problem if the joints were not staggered and I had a single supported join down the centre of the boards?

Also, to cover a 2.4m span at 400mm centres I would need 7 (4"x2" joists), where as using 22mm chipboard at 600mm centres I would need only 5 joists. I know the 22mm panels are about 4kg heavier than the 18mm panel but does anyone have a gut feel on whether the total weight would still be lighter than the 18mm option with the extra 2 joists? I am concerned about adding too much additional weight to the (new build) ceiling which is only constructed with existing 75mm joists.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
In general, they suggest stagger-laying to avoid having all the ends resting on the same joist. The Norbord technical helpline could probably give you a definitive answer for your particular situation.

no idea about the total weight side of things!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back