Loft conversion flooring advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently extended into the empty space in an existing attic, the new area has had new joists (6x2's) put down. Will 18mm tongue and groove loft (chip) boards with 400mm centres be strong enough for a hibitable room, used daily with possibly a bed and cupboards?

Also will the boards need to be staggered and cut to end on a joist?

Please advise and thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is an awful material, especially in small pieces. Use 18mm ply.

You say it is a proper loft conversion so you will be able to carry 8*2 or 8*4 sheets up the stairs.

Short edges must be supported using noggins where neccessary.

Fix using countersunk screws and it will be rigid. Dont use nails as the hammering will tend to crack the plaster ceiling below. Drill pilot holes.

The boards have already been purchased and are up in the attic waiting to go down, it's just now that someone passed comment about their suitability that's got me worried?

But as mentioned the joists are 6x2 at 400 centres, are the 18mm chipboard sufficient in terms of taking the weight of a lived in room in the long term? Also is there any way of making it more moisture resistant?

Sponsored Links
The boards have already been purchased and are up in the attic waiting to go down, it's just now that someone passed comment about their suitability that's got me worried?

But as mentioned the joists are 6x2 at 400 centres, are the 18mm chipboard sufficient in terms of taking the weight of a lived in room in the long term? Also is there any way of making it more moisture resistant?

18mm T&G chipboard is commonly used on floors @ 400mm centres, so i dont see why it isnt suitable.
And why would you want to make it more moisture resistant?

I hope to start laying the floor, just wanted to ask do the ends of the board have to meet on a joist and be secured into the joist or can the joint be floating away from a joist?

If the joint should be on a joist do I cut the lip and make it flat edges that butt up to one another or just screw into the tongue and grove joint through to the joist?

Please advise

you need to fully comply with building regulations as tony 1851 was implying
if not it is light storage area and no more and you will never be able to describe it any other way
if they become aware that you are converting without complying with regs they can insist you comply or reinstate to light storage :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back