Loft boarding after thick insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all
We recently moved into a 1930s house that has had full insulation about 10 years ago, it's 30cm thick and then loads of small polystyrene balls filled in between the joists. I'd like to increase the storage as only about 10ft is boarded.
What's the best way to go about this. I've seen raised loft board system that go above the insulation, height isn't an issue but I'm wondering if I can just squash down the insulation and board over the top onto the joists?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Boarding over as is will reduce the effect of insulation. You can either raise the floor level to accommodate the current insulation or replace with rigid insulation which has similar thermal value at a greatly reduced thickness .

Sponsored Links
I think insulation works by trapping air. If you squash insulation and compress it, it becomes less effective. I imagine it's the same for polystyrene balls.

Look at loft legs or loftzone system or even just additional timber crossing the original joists to raise the floor up. I've got the loftzone system and it allows for 270mm of insulation plus a small gap above that for airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back